New Kiter w/ Kite Dilemma

San Francisco Bay Area kiteboarding lessons, learning and support.

Which kite option do you think I should go with?

Caution
33%
RRD
33%
WindWing
No votes
Flexifoil
33%

Total votes: 3

scatmandu
Contributor
Contributor
New Kiter w/ Kite Dilemma

Post by scatmandu » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:02 pm

Hey all, My first post and I'd really appreciate your help and advice. I know you once needed it and I'm hoping for your understanding in responding here. I'm totally commited to learning this sport. I'm a 200lb rider who needs a bigger kite. I've got about four options available and I'm not sure of which one I should go with. I'll be primarily kiting in lighter winds around carmel/monterey and then I'll move to europe. Here are the options I have and the prices available for each:

**All kites mentioned are '05 models...I wanted the latest tech but don't want to spend '06 prices.

Caution Spitfire II w/ bar for $425. Liked by locals, but I'm not sure it's right for a novice like myself.

RRD Type 6 12m AND 15m w/ bars for $600. Not much around about RRD...would love some comments and seems like this would be all I'd need in my quiver.

Windwing Rapture 15...seems like the safest thing out there, but sounds like the company is going out of business. What's the deal?

Flexifoil Firestorm 12 AND 15 meters for around $650. Also would be nice to have two kites in the quiver but again not a lot written about them.

I'm in the market for a big floaty board and I've got lessons lined up for APR. I'm not sure if I should just wait for the XPO in pismo after I've taken lessons and demo a bunch of stuff or get something now while everyone is getting rid of their stuff while the '05s are relatively new.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated. Thanks a lot for any help. If you'd rather comment by phone, my number is 831-601-3657.

Todd :?

Sander
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Sander » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:14 am

Todd,
you are on the right track. Those all look like good options. The 2 RRDs with bar seems like the best deal.
Big board (wide in addition to float) helps a lot as well.
Sander

scatmandu
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the advice

Post by scatmandu » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:56 am

Thanks a lot for the advice, Sander...I actually went ahead and made the leap. I went with the Flexifoils. I didn't put it on the message, but they came with bars and lines as well. I thihk it turns out to be a great deal. Hope to see you out in nthe water, and I hope I'm seeing you from above the water rather than below. Later.
Scat

consumer
Regular
Regular

Post by consumer » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:17 pm

i woulda went with the type 6's =((