general

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Therob
general

Post by Therob » Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:37 am

i'm going to school for industrial design, and my next project is going to be designing a kiteboarding tool. it is going to be an all-in-one type of tool, similar to a snowboard tool, or mountain bike tool. so what would you guys want in a tool like this? screwdriver types, allen drivers, knife blade, wax scraper, wrenches, bottle opener, etc. any color ideas? any help would really be appriciated. also, would you guys want to buy a tool like this?
thanks,
rob

bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by bdawg » Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:15 am

rob,
I think this is a cool idea. Here are some of my ideas.

a compartment for alcohol towelette and a patch. bladder and/or sail tape.

incorporate a loud whistle.

this might be lame but a thought: what about a tool for picking out knots??

I don't think color is as important as function. Is that just me?

I think bulk would not be good. It would be nice to have to tool "clipped" to harness so it is always there if you are on the water or on the beach.

Blair

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:17 am

Hey Rob,

The Alien Topeak tool for mountain biking use is a killer example of a well designed small unit with lots of tools. This particular tool has several wrenches and screwdrivers and the essential thing about it is that it comes apart into two piecesmaking it possible to tighten a screw while holding the nut with the wrench. On my boards, I have an allen bolt coming through the bottom with a 7/16" nut on top, so I'd need that feature to tighten them up.

I'd buy a tool like that as it'd be handier than many loose tools. I don't think color matters too much. Maybe just Grey/Black, but other combos might be cool too.

RobsterCraw
Contributor
Contributor

Outboard motor?

Post by RobsterCraw » Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:13 pm

Maybe you can find a way to make it float