A question about practicing on land

San Francisco Bay Area kiteboarding lessons, learning and support.
christianrbuss
A question about practicing on land

Post by christianrbuss » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:48 pm

Hi,

I was just up a Dillon beach today practicing on the beach with my new kite (12M Cabrinha Crossbow). I just got it and wanted to see how the bridle works, bar pressure, etc, but didn't want to head out in the chop given that I'm still a learning grommet and thought I'd be in over my head. So I was practicing on the beach.

I'm on the beach and loving it, until cranky old kiter starts yelling at me for using a 12M in 10 knots on land. I mean really yelling at me, calling me unsafe, a danger, breaking the rules on "his spot". Long story short, he says that anyone kiting a kite bigger than 6m on land is a jackbooted thug.

I had lessons in Morocco and had a lot of practice time with a kite on dry land (learn the one thing then the other was their motto), but I don't want to be a schmuck about things, so I wanted to ask whether it's a really bad idea to be practicing on land with my kite?

It's a bow kite so I've got the ability to depower completely, and have been able to modulate the power generated amazingly well, much better than on the Boxer's I was on in Morocco.

Can I get you guys to weigh in?

Sander
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Sander » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:12 pm

Christian,

You stand the most risk of injuring yourself or the public when on land, so you really should limit 'dry' sessions to a minimum.

Sounds like you are ready for the water so just go for it!

Bob
Regular
Regular

Post by Bob » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:14 pm

Old Kiters have seen it all...
Including the new bow kites inverting on land with the consequences of reversed steering...
Legends of The Bay have hurt themselves on land with a twelve in 6 knts.
My weight is clearly placed in the water.
If your launching on land its simply keep it low and go... with a short body drag from the shore to clear the solid objects.
Cranky may not be the best delivery of the message but I support the wisdom delivered and respecting the standards of the locals should be universal.

christianrbuss

Thanks for the advice

Post by christianrbuss » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:34 pm

I'll keep it in the water from now on. Thanks for the advice guys.

--c-

jowall
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jowall » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:25 pm

Christian:

it's also good that you asked for a little feedback here instead of being embarrased. It's better to be a little embarrased online than in front of a crowd of people at the beach, picking sand out of your teeth (or worse).

Not to mention flying your new $$$ kite on land is a good way to chance tearing it up.

-John

Snacks
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Snacks » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:23 pm

:) You should be banned from the sport all together. Sell your little old kite to me and go back to windsurfing!!! :)