Cannon Beach, Oregon

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
OliverG
Old School
Old School
Cannon Beach, Oregon

Post by OliverG » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:35 pm

This is along the coastal road trip we try and do more or less anually. Cannon Beach looked like a great spot, can be fogged in, but is a great place to stay too. Anyone have the info on this spot? Must be at times good for kiting as this is where Hammersurf is based out of.

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:50 pm

Ollie, this is near sieaside, yeah?

Seaside has some insane waves just make sure you are packing wither a 9mm or can of mace or both. Don't leave any valuables in the car. You think Waddel is local, seaside is ten fold.

But just north of Seaside is the Astoria coastline. 40 miles of wide open beach you can drive on. Kiting is great and you can drive right to the water setup, even do a downwinder if you want.

As to Cannon beach, I don't see why it wouldn't get the same wind as the rest of the northern coast in Oregon. I know there are a few local phenomenons on the oregon coast that make certain place better than others but this should get windy. The only thing suspect is the point sticking out to the north. May block the more northerly winds or make them a bit gusty.
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:10 am

Ollie,

For the past two summers I've added Lincoln City, OR to my Gorge trip agenda. It is unofficially deemed the "kite capital of the world". It is unreal. In '03 I rode my 10 for 3 hours all alone with a moderate swell. EPIC!

In '04 I also rode the 10 for about 2.5 hours when one other kiter showed up. Then, since it was so crowded, I only stayed out for a little while longer. :wink:

Be sure to add this safe, windy, cold spot to your agenda. The park I rode there is called "Road's End" I believe and it's a couple of hours drive from Portland. It is what kiting will be like in the afterlife, assuming you're going to heaven with me that is!

There's quite a bit of web info on the city if you want to know more. My hotel (with indoor pool and hot tub) was about 200 yards from the launch.
Go bigga'

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:57 am

Gabe,

I don't know if it's by Seaside or not, but I'm certain that at Cannon Beach, there's no need to carry a switchblade and bicycle chain in my harness. What kind of vibe did you get at Seaside or is that what some local kiters told you?

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:01 am

Dave,

Duly noted, sounds killer. I'm looking forward to next years North Coast road trip already, although the crowds you mention might be a turnoff :)

So you're doing the Barstow to Vegas run, huh? What are you riding?

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:05 am

Barstow to Vegas on my trusty Honda XR600R... yeah baby. (Thump, thump). That was how I defined hand-held power until I took up the kite.

Sounds like windsports at Mojave are on the list too. Give thanks m'brother.
Go bigga'

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:16 am

Ollie wrote:Gabe,

I don't know if it's by Seaside or not, but I'm certain that at Cannon Beach, there's no need to carry a switchblade and bicycle chain in my harness. What kind of vibe did you get at Seaside or is that what some local kiters told you?
Ollie, seaside is a pretty infamous point break that one of the editors of Surfer Magazine had his life threathened at for printing photos and location. It's a surf spot...noone would ever kite there. If your plates are not from Oregon, your car will be broken into there. Now Canon Beach, is just south of there. Wide open, no localism. What I wrote earlier actually came off of a surf site.
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

Denny
Contributor
Contributor

Cannon Beach Info

Post by Denny » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:44 pm

Hey all!
Cannon Beach is a beautiful place. There's definitely some kiting to be had there. Localism isn't quite as strong as Seaside, but I'd recomend not crowding any groups of surfers. I've got more information posted on my site at <br /><br />http://www.kiteworld.net/kiteboarding-v ... full&id=33. <br /><br />For information on other areas close to there, you can go to <br /><br />http://www.kiteworld.net/kiteboarding-vacations.php. <br /><br />Also, if anyone wants to post information about your favorite spots on Kiteworld.net, let me know. I'm always happy to support the community!

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:52 pm

BayAreaKite wrote:Gabe,

yea if your still wondering cannon is about a 15 minute drive from seaside