Kite Road Trip - Nor Cal/Oregon/Nevada

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
OliverG
Old School
Old School
Kite Road Trip - Nor Cal/Oregon/Nevada

Post by OliverG » Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:00 am

Anyone have any info on what would be a great route to hit some good kiting spots on a more or less "local" road trip possibly hiting spots in nor Cal, Oregon and/or Nevada?

charlie
Old School
Old School

trip

Post by charlie » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:14 pm

ollie
what about the lake near vages?

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:10 pm

Ollie, for a summer tour, I would head up the coast starting mid August hitting the spots like Crecent City at the border and then Pistol River, Flores Lake, Newport beach, all the way to Astoria. I would turn there and head east to the Gorge. Late August is a great time to be there warm and steadier wind. Then you will want to shoot all the way out east hitting spots along the Columbia the whole way. Head south into Nevada and map out any lakes with good topography on the way. They all blow out in the desert. Hit Lahanton on your way into Carson. Hit Tahoe on your way back to Sherman and you've covered the tour in about 20 days. I have pictures from lot's of these places at my webiste www.1cps.net
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:10 pm

Gabe,

That sounds like a killer tour. The misses and I have on a couple of occasions driven up the coast all the way to British Columbia, and to the Seattle area to visit her family, so there's no reason I shouldn't bring my gear on the next trip. On the last one, we did see some kiters at an Oregon beach in or around Florence I think. I freaked out because I didn't have any gear, but calmed down quickly....oh well.

The next trip that way may have to be similiar to what you outlined, with an RV rental perhaps. I'll check the pics on your site. Thanks for the info.

Denny
Contributor
Contributor

North Oregon Coast

Post by Denny » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:59 pm

Kiteworld.net is based in Warrenton, Oregon - just south of Astoria. The storefront is called Pacific Wave Ltd., and it's right off of Hwy 101. This shop started as a windsurf shop by the owner, Josh and one of his buddies back in like 1985 or something. Josh has been kitsurfing there since 99? or so. There's a great group of local kiters there. If you want to hook up, these guys will be able to tell you exactly where the best spot to go is every day! I'd try to get ahold of them a few days ahead though, as often times they will be in the water, not in the shop :wink: . Anyhow, there is more information on Kiteworld.net on the "Places to Ride" page (http://www.kiteworld.net/kiteboarding-vacations.php). If you want to talk with someone about where to go or stay etc, call Ben at the shop. 866.548.3967.