Tahoe Ozone Event Dec. 10th&11th

Winter snowkiting topics and locations.
thresher

Post by thresher » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:31 pm

Pablito wrote:I haven't been out yet, but it seems like that last round of storms probably took care of coverage at the higher elevations. That's where they're going to have to go anyway, cuz there isn't going to be any wind lower down this weekend.

Forecasts are for 6-12 MPH. If it's deep snow, I don't think that that's enough wind. If it's crusty or hardpack, probably. Any perspectives? Last week when I was at Skyline, most of the guys were on 14s in similar wind.

A 14M LEI is pretty big to haul up to Red Lake Ridge.
I was out skiing on Red Lake Peak and also near Roundtop last weekend, and the snow situation above 9k feet is pretty crappy. Basically all the exposed slopes and ridgelines were pretty thin coverage, with lots of ice and icy vegetation sticking through. Got some great powder skiing in the trees on east facing slopes, but nowhere I'd want to fly a kite. I was trying for my first snowkite run, but there was insufficient wind...

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:50 pm

Thanks for the live report. Based on that info and the forecast lack of wind for this weekend, the Ozone event this weekend may not be worth the trek.

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:23 pm

I'm going to be in Truckee Saturday, if this doesn't work out I'll end up at Northstar. If anyone is going to be in the area and wants someone to ride with, let me know.

Two main lifts open, can't wait... wonder if vert plus will make a difference.

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:59 pm

Don't forget your paraglider :wink:

loren
Joey
Joey

Post by loren » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:53 pm

I'm heading up Saturday morning to hook up with Brian at Kirkwood. If there's no wind I'll probably board Kirkwood in the afternoon and hit up Heavenly on Sunday.

I'm thinking about bringing my paraglider too... is Daydreams or Slide flyable in the winter?!

I'm also gonna try and borrow a Firebird kiting wing and attempt some ground skimming if I can find a wide open backface run...

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:27 pm

This is an urgent message regarding the Lake Tahoe Ozone Snowkite Freeride event scheduled for this weekend, December 10th and 11th. Unfortunately, due to lack of snow and un-ride-able conditions we have determined it to be unsafe to host the Snowkite Freeride and product demo this weekend. Members of the Ozone team will be available Saturday and Sunday morning at Kirkwood to answer questions about Snowkiting and Ozoneís latest winter products, so come on up and visit the guys and hit the lifts for a day of downhilling before racking up the night at the UN party!. Again, we will not be flying kites at Kirkwood, or in the backcountry this weekend because of limited snow coverage. The Ozone Snowkite Freeride Tour is only postponed and will return to Tahoe at a later date this winter when snow conditions have improved. Please contact Windzup with any questions or concerns at info@windzup.com or 801-501-8300. Stay tuned to www.ozonesnowkites.com for current details throughout the season.

Windzup,
Brian Schenck

The Snowkite Freeride will be taking a detour and joining the Montana crew this weekend at Georgetown Lake. So anyone stoked to Snowkite should head North for the weekend.

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:02 pm

No snow in the forecast for next week either.

No wind. :( No snow :(

Time to go to Mexico?

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:06 pm

I just got word from Ken who's putting on the Telefair at Kwood. He said there is plenty of coverage outside the resort area to kite... he's going today. I will be up there with some new demo kites from Ozone (Access & Frenzy). However Ozone will not be doing the freeride tour. It sounds like it may be worth the trip and If there's no wind then the good news is Kwood is planning on being 100% open... all lifts running! If you do come bring your gear and kites, as I only have 1 Frenzy 7.5m and 1 Access 6 & 10m. I will also have some Imp trainer kites and a Samurai 3m.

Sorry about the delay. I should of introduce myself earlier. My name is Mark (aka Yoda). I'm the new Ozone rep for Nor Cal and Nev. I'm looking forward to meeting and kiting with all of you soon. I'm still new to this sport (snowkiting since '04), so for you hardcore riders, bare with me. You will find my passion for kiting is on par with many of you and I'm very excited to be representing such a prominent brand.

I will be doing several demos this season, but if someone wants to hook up and try a kite just let me know via a PM. Cheers

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:47 pm

Yoda, good job and thanks for the info. May the force be with you....

smarkbloc

snowkite

Post by smarkbloc » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:54 pm

hey scanman...i see u are using pl..me2...started at 3rd summer 05 using v13 and 16...wanna snowkite...lemme know when u are going...sbgas@nextel.blackberry.net steve