Snow kiting in Squaw Valley?

Winter snowkiting topics and locations.
elli
Resident
Resident
Snow kiting in Squaw Valley?

Post by elli » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:29 am

Check this out: http://wowkite.com/

Did anyone kite there? Is the area open enough so good wind is possible? Pay to get in?
Wind Over Water And Squaw Resort have teamed up this winter to bring you Squaw Valley Kite School ... We are located on the Squaw Valley Golf course by the Nortic Center.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:55 am

They are also going to be doing trips to Skyline, Utah:

"Hi,

This is Jeff with Wind Over Water kite school, I just wanted to touch base with all my past students and friends. Wind over Water Kite Boarding is taking a break for the winter but we wanted you to know that we started another school called Squaw Valley kite school. This school is running lessons on the Squaw Valley golf course in the snow. This location is our base for snow kiting in the Tahoe area. For more info email us. Also if you want to book a really fun weekend we have trips planned for every other weekend to skyline ridge in Utah until spring. Itís ok to come as newbie or an advanced rider.† The flight from sfo.is 1 hour 15 min. the drive is 1 and ? hours This spot is uncrowned because there is so much open space. Think of kiteboarding where ever you want, down on the flats up to the ridge tops and then back down again. The sport is as mellow or as extreme as you want it to be, depending on where you go and what kite you ride on. The wind is good and you can kite right from the car for miles on a snowboard or skis. In the unlikely case of a no wind day there is snowboarding, skiing, snow shoing and snow mobileing. The views are incredible and the people are nice and laidback. Whatís included? Three full days of possible kiting, shuttle to and from the airport, four wheel drive car, cabin style housing, snow mobile support, lessons, kites, beer, wine, water, snacks. All for $600 Email us with possible dates and we will fit you in when you want to go. The flight leaves on Friday at 6am and returns around 10pm on Sunday. This trip is non refundable and must be reserved with a credit card. For more info and pictures send us a email back. wowkite@sbcglobal.net

††††††††††††† Thanks,

††††††††††††††††††††† Jeff"

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:16 pm

I wonder if snow kiting open to the public in Squaw, I don't remember having that option last year.

E

bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by bdawg » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:23 pm

elli wrote:I wonder if snow kiting open to the public in Squaw, I don't remember having that option last year.

E
Elli,

I [shadow=red]highly [/shadow]doubt it. I got arrested at squaw a few years back during the summer for riding my bike over their land to get up and over to the back side of squaw. The sad thing is that they had downhill mtb'ing but we weren't allowed to ride up????? They are not too friendly there.

If you kite there watch for the placer county sheriff.

Blair

wind over water
Joey
Joey

Post by wind over water » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:03 am

Thanks for the support Blair and Elli we are going to be looking foward to riding with you.
Jeff

Where's the Snow?

Post by Where's the Snow? » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:51 am

Snow coverage in the valley is grim(actually non-existant). However, the upper elevations have a bomber cover of snow. We just got back from Baja and havn't been out to Rose or Kirkwood, but I'm sure it's on. As far as squaw goes and its policies, the land on which the resort operates is private and they like to cover their asses when it comes to risk not associated with paying customers. They are not nearly as big assholes as those who have brought suit against them over the years for lack of personal judgement and ability to asses risk. Thus, the policy. The meadow however is not Ski Corp. land.
-John
N.Tahoe

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:39 am

I would sure love to get a snow report from someone who has kited at high elevations around Tahoe (Kwood backcountry, etc.) We got one second hand report of poor cover at Red Lakes even after all the storms. There hasn't been any wind at low elevation, anyway, and I can't tell from the forecasts if there's even been enough wind to kite higher up even if the coverage is good.

The forecast for Saturday looks good (of course, I can't go) but Sunday looks weak:

SATURDAY...
SKY/WEATHER.........PARTLY CLOUDY THEN BECOMING MOSTLY CLOUDY.
PATCHY FREEZING FOG IN THE MORNING.
MAX TEMPERATURE.....
VALLEYS..........AROUND 40.
MIN HUMIDITY........
VALLEYS..........40-50%.
20-FOOT WINDS.......
VALLEYS/SLOPE....LIGHT WINDS.
RIDGE TOP........SOUTHWEST 20 TO 30 MPH.
MIXING HEIGHT.......9000-9500 FT MSL.
TRANSPORT WINDS.....SOUTHWEST 10 TO 15 MPH.

.EXTENDED...
.SUNDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. CHANCE OF SNOW. LOWS AROUND 17. HIGHS
AROUND 40.. SOUTHWEST WINDS 6 TO 12 MPH.

We need a new BAK spy in Tahoe ala Gabe.

Gabe, we miss you!
Paul

wind over water
Joey
Joey

Post by wind over water » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:22 pm

We just got off the mountain after two killer days of kiting. The snow is dumping now and is expected to dump a few more times this week. The snow has been good at high elevation for a few weeks now but by the end of this week it should be pretty good at alot more spots. It's on, feel free to come on up and join us.
Jeff