Winter snowkiting topics and locations.
Ozone's Freeride Tour is coming to Tahoe next weekend. The spots are still to be determined, based on conditions and wind, I guess, but the plan is to meet at Kirkwood on Saturday and go from there.
Brian from Ozone is going to keep me posted, so I'll post more info here when I get it.
I can't make Saturday, but I'm planning on heading up for the day on Sunday. If anyone wants to carpool from Sacto area, send me a PM here.
I can use a carpool if anyone is planning on going on Saturday. My car (Honda S2000) can't make it since it's a two seater and not the best car to drive in winter conditions. But I can load up my gear and meet anywhere along the way if anyone has room. I live in Union City (East Bay).
Word is the lights went up today, the fog machine's going in, dual projectors will be showing video all night and yours truly might even be laying down a DJ mix set to get the party started at 10 with possible audio-synched video visuals followed by the "real" DJ....
He said they were trying to work something out with Kirkwood about going into the backcountry behind the resort, but that ultimately they will go the easiest place where it's windy. I'm guessing many people would rather pay $10 to Kirkwood for a chairlift ride than hike 1/2 straight up with their gear at Red Lake Ridge.
Forecast for this weekend isn't great -- they're almost certainly going to have to go up on a ridge somewhere to get any wind at all. I might have to bring my 17 Outrage
Does anyone know how the coverage is around Kirkwood, Carson Pass, Red Lakes, etc. ? Is anything kiteable w/o destroying your board/skis?
Kirkwood will not allow access to the backcountry via their chairlifts for the kite demo. Ozone is planning to have Kwood be a meeting ground for everyone, but plan on doing it in the BC (conditions permitting)... this statement from Brian at Ozone.
I haven't been out yet, but it seems like that last round of storms probably took care of coverage at the higher elevations. That's where they're going to have to go anyway, cuz there isn't going to be any wind lower down this weekend.
Forecasts are for 6-12 MPH. If it's deep snow, I don't think that that's enough wind. If it's crusty or hardpack, probably. Any perspectives? Last week when I was at Skyline, most of the guys were on 14s in similar wind.
A 14M LEI is pretty big to haul up to Red Lake Ridge.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests