Vacation destination?

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
elli
Resident
Resident
Vacation destination?

Post by elli » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:35 am

I am thinking about new years vacation somewhere, with my GF.
For me: Wind of course
For her: Other stuff to do (hikes, maybe waves, other interesting things)

Cabarete seems ok for her but not for me during that time. Wind looks flakey in Dec / Jan
La Ventana good for me but nothing much for her there.

Any ideas? (Yeh I know, do it alone, other than that idea :) )

E

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:03 am

Maui can be somewhat hit or miss at this time of year, but I've gone in October and December and always gotten some wind, maybe not everyday, but good times nonetheless. Maui is fast and easy to fly to and if there's no wind, you're still on Maui with tons of stuff to do - hike, snorkel, surf, hang by the pool, etc.

Windseeker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Windseeker » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:37 am

I'll second that one... I just got back from Maui a couple weeks ago and I would say at least half the days were kitable with a couple really riping ones.... a little gusty though. But there was a ton of stuff to do on those non windy days and for the wife too as long as she likes the outdoor'z stuff. What a beautiful island... think it has ruined ever going back to the good old cheapo caribean islands for me.... The only downer I noticed is if you like to party up late almost everything shuts down real early around 10-11 or so.... especially considering the 11:00 rule for kiting on Maui it would have been nice to have a little more night life....

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:11 pm

Isn't Hawaii significantly more expensive than Mexico / Caribbean? I was hoping for two three weeks so every day needs to be cheap.

E

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:14 pm

That was me, still didn't get used to the no login policy :)

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:39 pm

Elli,
I was just reading about SPI on kiteforum. Sounds like just what your looking for.

Dewey
Dewey

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:42 pm

Anonymous wrote:Isn't Hawaii significantly more expensive than Mexico / Caribbean? I was hoping for two three weeks so every day needs to be cheap.

E
Flights to Maui are pretty cheap on ATA out of SFO. You can find lodging in any number of condos for anywhere between 80-120/night. Shop at Costco and Safeway and make most of your own food.

SPI is sweet too, we stayed at the Bahia Mar I think and noticed the Best Western next door looked very new and nice and less expensive.
The food's OK as long as you like it either Mexican or deep fried. Jesse's Cantina is very good.

kitedancer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitedancer » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:15 am

You can Kayak...snorkel....cave paintings....

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:23 pm

I looked at iKiteSurf and SPI was nuking last week , sometimes average close to 40.
Time to get that fully depowerable bow I guess :)

Good suggestion, lets see what she says :)