pumping frustration

Hook up with other kiters, share rides, or find a kite mentor & speed your progression.
Forum rules
Use "Group Notice" when posting/responding to notify interested kiters!
Snacks
Contributor
Contributor
pumping frustration

Post by Snacks » Thu May 18, 2006 5:34 pm

This is kind of lame - when I pump up my kite I cant stop the air from coming out of the hole when I am done. It makes me so so so frustrated. My fingers are not fast or strong enough to stop it. I have tried the finger over the top method and the pitch method.

I was wondering if I could buy something to turn the valves into one way (?) so the air doesn't come out. Or a trick I can do that will make me not have to spend 15 mins pumping up the stupid thing. :roll:

This is lame and whinny I know but it would make my life much easier.

lmontejo
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by lmontejo » Thu May 18, 2006 5:57 pm

Dear Snacks,

You didn't tell us what kite you have, and there are many different valves out there.

And yes, pumping your kite for 15 minutes is 14 minutes too long.
:P
Leo

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu May 18, 2006 6:22 pm

I used to use the pinch method, but have found the finger over the valve to be better. Is it the struts or just the leading edge that's giving you trouble?

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Thu May 18, 2006 7:48 pm

and how was your lesson out in the tules...?
i think it was windy that day.
and ahh.. the more you pUmp the better you get at that.
charlie

bounceback
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bounceback » Thu May 18, 2006 8:28 pm

i had the same frustration--
pinch method never worked for my short stubby fingers

putting my finger over the valve does the trick; just takes some practice

on well-loved kites in which stopper balls no longer stop air from coming out automatically, you can turn the strut upside down and pump with one hand (the manly way ahem). i cant do that; so i would aim the little ball at the opening before yanking the hose and let suction does its thing.

hope this helps.

Snacks
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Snacks » Thu May 18, 2006 10:10 pm

Oh my lesson was great. the weather/wind was perfect. I had never been on a jet ski so that was cool I am sure Donny hit a few extra waves for me. Donny gave me lots of tips and a few huge lessons. I think I like the Delta-it is pretty and everyone was super nice. The water is warm too.

I think my number one tip would be take a lesson from someone who has a jet ski and who is funny. Just having the jet ski around added tons gave me tons of confidence. I wasn't always dragging my bum up wind.

The only bummer is that I re injured my foot :( I think I am going to just chop it off. Now I am off again to NH then Costa Rica Wednesday. I don't think I have gusto to kite in either place. And I dont know how my foot feels about surfing.

Snacks
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Snacks » Thu May 18, 2006 10:29 pm

It is a yarga 05. And all the valves are 2 way.

lmontejo wrote:Dear Snacks,

You didn't tell us what kite you have, and there are many different valves out there.

And yes, pumping your kite for 15 minutes is 14 minutes too long.
:P

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Fri May 19, 2006 4:44 pm

you can always try a one pump, or sprint, or octupus, or liquid force's one or two valve kite inflation system... I love my one pump systems.... saves time.... I can pump a 10m in about 90 seconds

Snacks
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Snacks » Tue May 23, 2006 6:52 am

Those look like kites- I think I am stuck with he finger over the top method. I was hoping someone would say something like "yeah just stick a marble in there!"

Thanks guys :)

andyandmarlys wrote:you can always try a one pump, or sprint, or octupus, or liquid force's one or two valve kite inflation system... I love my one pump systems.... saves time.... I can pump a 10m in about 90 seconds