How many kiters with fifth lines get tangles after unwinding

Reunite gear with owners here.
windhorny
Old School
Old School
How many kiters with fifth lines get tangles after unwinding

Post by windhorny » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:32 am

It seems every time my girlfriend winds up her lines they are doomed to be tangled when unwinding them. It also seems to take 3 or 4 tries to get it untangled just from the start. I have watched what she does and there doesnt seem to be anything out of the ordinary. I ask because I might have to get one of the North rebels and they obviously have the fifthe line but I wont do it if it adds 10 minutes to my rig time.

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:43 am

5th?? I don't think it's any harder than 4 lines. What tangles?
Dewey

clints
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by clints » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:48 am

I use to have this issue initialy with my 5th line too but now I seem to be better at it and don't get my lines tangled as much anymore when I unwind them. It's just like when you first started on the 4 lines, the more you do it the better you'll get at it. The trick is in winding your lines properly, use your fingers if possible to guide the lines and to avoid tangling them.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:12 pm

The onl;y thing I can say about her situation is that I used some semi-abrasive line instead of the dyneema. maybe it tangles more since it isnt slick line.

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:12 pm

I leave the lines connected to the kite when I wind them and pack everything connected. That 4 lines kites.
After you unwind, stretch the lines by pulling the bar (watch out not to move the kite) and pull line by line until they are all clear. Sometime the bar will go through the lines and you will have to open one line or two and reconnect. In most cases all you have to do is spin the bar.

Should be the same with 5 lines, maybe little more work.

panzerfaust
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by panzerfaust » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:54 pm

I use a different technique for laying out lines, instead of running fingers and walking up, I get two lines at a time and pull them to the bar. Make sure that the line endings are straight otherwise you'll hook the remaining lines. For me this is much faster than running fingers :O.

kitedancer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitedancer » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:09 pm

Does she use a Slingshot bar/lines? if yes, get rid of the little yellow stopper ball - it creates tangles.

Lisa

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:38 pm

She does but that is not the problem. that thing is annoying though. It is more an issure with the fifth line looking right when laid out but when the kite gets lifted for launch it seems to always be in a different position. I never get tangles in my setup except for the ends are sometimes a pain to untangle but that 5th line seems to present constant readjusting issues. Also, the 5th line is totally seprate from anything as we added it just so she could relaunch easier. I personally think it is the fact that the 5th line is made of abrasive material and not dyneema or something smooth. This stuff we used kinks.

Sander
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Sander » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:39 pm

windhorny wrote:The onl;y thing I can say about her situation is that I used some semi-abrasive line instead of the dyneema. maybe it tangles more since it isnt slick line.
I think you're on to something with the line material, as I've had the same prob. Get a new 5th line of the slick stuff and try it out.

Or you could just try lubing the lines so they slide past each other...maybe some conditioner/detangler or a 'personal lubricant' like Astroglide

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:13 pm

I am running low on astro glide so I think I will just go with a new line :)