Taken: Carabiner and Slingshot leash in Alameda

Reunite gear with owners here.
reyrivera
Old School
Old School
Taken: Carabiner and Slingshot leash in Alameda

Post by reyrivera » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:56 pm

Left this at Shellgate launch a few days ago, blue carabiner, and slingshot leash setup on the fence for self launching and self landing, red rope left behind but took all the hardware.

Somebody probably nice enough took it thinking it was left behind by accident? If not, whoever picked up the leash, please don't use the leash, return it where you picked it up or throw it in the trash. That is a repaired leash and it is only good for light load and you will be in danger if you use it as a safety leash for kiting. That leash will snap on a heavy load and you will lose more than the price of a free leash.

FYI, I left that setup for everyone to use, I guess I need to leave behind something more permanent, maybe like the one the guys made for launching and landing at Bodega Bay.

Rey

Col.kiteman
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Taken: Carabiner and Slingshot leash in Alameda

Post by Col.kiteman » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:52 pm

Jumbo hook from harbor freight directly onto chainlink is how i do it in alameda (3.99). Whats nice is after u launch u can clip it to the back of ur harness and away you go, or you can attatch it to fence with an extra leash, which doubles as a good tool for all you noobs should u have to juggle a self rescue while keeping track of your board (extra leash + jumbo hook to keep ur board tethered while u are winding up your lines. My heart tells me to share with the community, but these unfortunate instances tells my mind to be selfish. Hopefully it was a non kiter who took your setup and didnt know any better. Anyhow, a word of caution: this style of self launch can be safe, but can also go wrong, so if u even have intrest in ideas like this, please find someone COMPETENT on the beach and ask questions. Don't just monkey see monkey do it. I try to make it out there once a week(day), riding surfboards or skims with wainman kites. Dont hesitate to approach me with any questions. Im more than happy to help.

waves are good
Contributor
Contributor

Post by waves are good » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:24 pm

Yup....or even more simple....learn the basic skill of self launching and landing that everyone that kites should know.
Last edited by waves are good on Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ozchrisb
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by ozchrisb » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:22 pm

If you can't self launch and land without extra equipment, consider yourself a beginner.
Joey
Or in a spot that doesn't work for self launching and landing....? There's quite a few of those in the Bay Area.

sanjose_kiter
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by sanjose_kiter » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:05 am

Don't leave anything on Alameda, especially on Shellgate beach area. Reason: too many beach goers there. List of equipment lost there afaik:
- my wetsuit & harness - never found
- Jonathan 's cabrihna bar - never found
- Jim 'slingshot bar - never found

germanvc
Joey
Joey

Post by germanvc » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:25 am

How exactly would you self land at Shellgate beach?
You can steer the kite down to the ground and it then sits on the kite tip. What do you do next? I was in that situation once. I pulled the down haul to take the power out of the kite. Then I pulled on the flag line to lay the kite on its face. But it flew up and flagged out down wind. Not what I had intended to do.
Will a fifth line kite self land more controlled?

Adam

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:45 am

Hey Adam,

Here's a good discussion on the self-landing topic:

viewtopic.php?t=9009&f=1

Interestingly, it appears Caution's website no longer has the self-landing video tutorial, probably for liability reasons. Too bad - it was a good example of the technique.

Ask someone to show you this before you try it.

Kirk out