/Fuselage

A nearly two year endeavor where I set out to create a new and better composite hydrofoil. Read the full story here, and become a launch customer today!

Moderator: BayAreaKite

/Fuselage

Postby BayAreaKite » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:13 am

Arguably the most over designed components on modern foils are the fuselages. Whether carbon or aluminum, the solid section is far stronger and heavier than needed. The excess weight is especially critical given that it’s cantilevered at the end of a meter long mast. Whether you’re trying to maneuver the foil in the water after a crash, stage the board for a strapless start, or walk to the upper launch at Third, a heavy fuselage makes it all harder. Project Cedrus mates to a hollow carbon fuselage, again sacrificing a bit of drag for structure that weighs less than half as much.
Fuselage_Design.png
Proto1 Fuselage Design
Fuselage_Design.png (234.77 KiB) Viewed 550 times

To keep cost down, I was able to use an off-the-shelf composite tube for my prototype wall thickness. The shape suggests to me that the original intention was a lacrosse stick, but thanks to my design and architecture, I had no problem adapting it to a foil fuselage. Like my mast, I was able to optimize using FEA. Although it was ultimately the testing of various length fuselages that helped me settle on a final design. This next iteration will be fabricated using a custom mandrel, reducing wall thickness, increasing diameter and buoyancy. Depending on the board and wing setup, the design could eventually result in a foil that lies parallel to the surface of the water at rest. How does that sound, strapless riders?
Fuselage_Analysis.png
Stress Analysis of the Fuselage using FEA
Fuselage_Analysis.png (345.69 KiB) Viewed 550 times
BayAreaKite
Site Admin
Site Admin
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Return to The Story