Beginner looking for gear recommendations

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
raztec
Contributor
Contributor
Beginner looking for gear recommendations

Post by raztec » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:37 am

Hey there,

I'm just starting this sport and am looking for some recommendations on gear (likely used) that would suite an outright beginner for Vancouver Island (most likely Nitnat Lake) and Baja where I hope to spend some winter months.

I'm not a young chipper (53 yrs old) but am pretty athletic and do other sports fairly well (paragliding and motor cycle racing). However, I don't have any board experience so am finding that part really hard to get. I'd really like to learn the sport properly in a very slow, gradual progression with super easy to handle gear.

Any recommendations on size and brand of kites and boards would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Raz

Kyle
Regular
Regular

Re: Beginner looking for gear recommendations

Post by Kyle » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:11 pm

You should definitely get in touch with the Ocean Rodeo crew in Victoria! Maybe they have some used or demo gear for sale? Not to mention a cool group of people to kite with. A good idea to start with used equipment, because as you’re probably aware, you will need multiple kites and will beat them up as you learn. My quiver in Seattle was 10/13/16 back in the day:)

In my experience it was not a gradual learning curve, but a steep step function. It was frustrating and painful learning to kite, in a way like learning to ride a bike as a kid. You fall over, can’t get riding, body doesn't understand the physics. Then one day you just get it. Once you’re actually riding and staying upwind, then the sport becomes much more progressive. Start with transitions, then learning to boost, and then you’ll progress to new boards and tricks. Enjoy!