Gear for a beginner - kite too small?

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
LordSnow
Joey
Joey
Re: Gear for a beginner - kite too small?

Post by LordSnow » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:45 pm

Sounds like I need to grab a larger kite to start out. Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Are there any other beginner-intermediate locations in this area that weren't mentioned already?

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:44 am

LordSnow wrote:Sounds like I need to grab a larger kite to start out. Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Are there any other beginner-intermediate locations in this area that weren't mentioned already?
Alameda is definitely the best.
But you know this is the end of our wind season, right? Next time you'll be unpacking your kite will probably be in the spring next year.
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

LordSnow
Joey
Joey

Post by LordSnow » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:00 pm

Yeah, I know and I'm supremely bummed about my terrible timing. Oh well. That gives me time to hunt for gear on the cheap.

I may be in Florida later this year, so I might have a chance to continue my lessons while I am there.

JimmyJack
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JimmyJack » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:36 pm

I started kiting last July. I had many years of windsurfing experience many years ago, all over the bay area including Crissy and Waddell. My goal was to get to Crissy and Waddell ASAP and so pretty much gave up my TT in March. The windsurfing gibing experience helped a lot, but honestly, you can learn to turn it if you just spend time on it and it is a much more comfortable board to be on at Crissy, you don’t see many TT's there. Why? Because paddling back from the north tower on a twin tip is a lot tougher than on a surfboard! Or even just floating waiting for the Coast Guard you called on your phone or Radio. It took me about 10 times to get to the 99% conversion on my gibes but I spent a lot of that during Nov - March last year on 15m and 18m at Alameda, TP and Berkeley. Having said all of that, I wish I hadn't sold my TT cuz it would be fun to go back to form time to time in floods at Sherman etc. But the next step is likely foils so I can kite all year! Alameda is only good on storms and clearing winds….hard place to learn if you ask me because there is never enough wind otherwise

Xor
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Xor » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:45 pm

LordSnow wrote:Yeah, I know and I'm supremely bummed about my terrible timing. Oh well. That gives me time to hunt for gear on the cheap.

I may be in Florida later this year, so I might have a chance to continue my lessons while I am there.
Also, in off season it is good idea to head to wake cable park or behind the boat, it is the best shortcut to kiting I know, being only concerned about kite flying and doing board control automatically is a lot for progression.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Good-bye... and hello... as always!
Victor

Xor
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Xor » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:51 pm

le noun wrote:
LordSnow wrote:Sounds like I need to grab a larger kite to start out. Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Alameda is definitely the best.
But you know this is the end of our wind season, right? Next time you'll be unpacking your kite will probably be in the spring next year.
I plan to snowkite this year ;)
*hope we get better snow season this year*

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Good-bye... and hello... as always!
Victor