Gear for a beginner - kite too small?

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
LordSnow
Joey
Joey

Post by LordSnow » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:36 pm

Hello,
I am just starting out kiteboarding in the Bay area and looking for a little advice on gear. I've taken a couple lessons and decided to start picking up my own equipment. I got an excellent deal on a used kite locally (10.5m Naish). I bought the kite knowing that it is on the small side for my weight (175lbs). Will i be able to get much use out of it or would i be limited to only using it on days with high winds? I haven't purchased a board yet; would i be able to compensate for the smaller kite by using a larger board? I plan to kite Alameda, 3rd ave, Crissy Beach, but I'm open to other areas that may be more beginner-friendly.

Any help is appreciated.

super_monkey
Regular
Regular

Re: Gear for a beginner - kite too small?

Post by super_monkey » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:23 pm

you don't need anything bigger than that if you go to Alameda, 3rd or Sherman next season. Leave Crissy for the end of next season if you really have to go there. This year's season is realistically over for beginners in the bay area. How tall are you? I have 135 North Cesar board for sale for $200.

Kyle
Regular
Regular

Post by Kyle » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:30 pm

a 135cm board is definitely not going to compensate for a kite that's too small. You either need a directional (surf) board or a 12-13m kite to maximize your water time. A lot of days at 3rd and Alameda are in the 16-19kts range. A 12m will get you out comfortable on those days, and your 10m on the 20+

super_monkey
Regular
Regular

Post by super_monkey » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:58 pm

BayAreaKite wrote:a 135cm board is definitely not going to compensate for a kite that's too small. You either need a directional (surf) board or a 12-13m kite to maximize your water time. A lot of days at 3rd and Alameda are in the 16-19kts range. A 12m will get you out comfortable on those days, and your 10m on the 20+
Interesting. A directional? That just sounds like bad advice for a beginner. Should it also come with a surfboard leash? :)

In season, 3rd is pretty much good every day on a 10.5 for a 175lb rider. In Alameda, if you can't go on a 10.5 you probably should have gone to 3rd or Sherman. Of course, if you can get a 12 or a 14 you will get a few more days in but realistically it is not worth it (to me personally). I'm 175lbs and haven't owned a 12m in like 6 years.

Then again, i'm sure everyone has a different opinion on all of this.

tgautier
Regular
Regular

Post by tgautier » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:00 pm

Please do not go to Crissy as a beginner. It's a double black diamond kiting spot. I do not recommend it even after a season. Be safe and have the skills and the knowledge before you go. Talk to people. Learn. Practice. Study. Get a marine radio. Get someone that knows the spot to go with you your first time.

Kyle
Regular
Regular

Post by Kyle » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:10 pm

why is a directional bad advice for a beginner? if you've never ridden a twin tip then gybing is no different from TT transitioning... requiring a stop and restart anyway. The surfboards also go downwind easier when you lose them, so you DON'T need a leash or one of those pool noodles tied around your board while you're learning to body drag. Depending on your eventual goals for the sport, it may even make sense to skip the TT all together. I have a lot of coastal friends who've never owned one.

I don't know where you typically kite but there are a lot of days at 3rd where it's 16-18kts. Today for example. Alameda rarely blows 10m conditions. Again, a 12-13m kite will be the best investment for learning quickly. I get a lot of use out of my 12m at 3rd and the coast. I even used it in Hawaii a few weeks ago. It's a real session saver.

Red_Element_Andy
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Red_Element_Andy » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:13 pm

I am ~160lb and learned at Alameda with a 12m - seemed to typically be the right size kite for that beach (for me and quite a few other riders), as well as working well in lightwind with a surfboard. It has also been the kite that I have used most of the time when traveling to DR, Brazil, and HI.

Another option you could consider is to get a much larger board (160cm) to use as you progress, and then have on hand for the light days.

Surfboards are an inexpensive way (<$50 on craigslist!) to extend your range but are more realistically going to be taken on in your 2nd season on the water.

super_monkey
Regular
Regular

Post by super_monkey » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:39 pm

I would imagine that common sense should answer that question if you just go back to the days when you were trying to get up and going on a board, not to mention fumbling with it once you've lost it. What is he going to do on days when it's blowing more than 14mph?
I'm sure that we can get as far into the hypotheticals that saying a canoe would be the best choice depending on the ultimate goals of the rider and what my friends learned on.

Today specifically is hardly in season. Alameda is only really a good kite spot when it is blowing for a 10m. But you are right, you might get extra few days here and there if you have a bigger kite and you somehow end up going to the wrong place. I think it's windy enough around the bay area during the season that picking the right place to go is all you need to do.

Xor
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Xor » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:06 am

There are enough days to get use of 12m, I'm 160-165 and learned with 9-12m quiver. While now I use 12m least throughout the season, it becomes main kite in September-October.
Do not forget, he just got lessons, so most likely do not have skills for 3rd yet and pretty sure he cannot stay upwind immediately to launch on Sherman.

IMHO 12m and lightwind board is the way to go. Once bodydrag, kite control and self rescue are good, go to 3rd ave, especially on low tide.
Once you can go upwind reliably you can add Sherman to your spots. Then, it will be time to add smaller kite to a quiver.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Good-bye... and hello... as always!
Victor

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:19 pm

Xor wrote:There are enough days to get use of 12m, I'm 160-165 and learned with 9-12m quiver. While now I use 12m least throughout the season, it becomes main kite in September-October.
Do not forget, he just got lessons, so most likely do not have skills for 3rd yet and pretty sure he cannot stay upwind immediately to launch on Sherman.

IMHO 12m and lightwind board is the way to go. Once bodydrag, kite control and self rescue are good, go to 3rd ave, especially on low tide.
Once you can go upwind reliably you can add Sherman to your spots. Then, it will be time to add smaller kite to a quiver.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
What he said. MJ0_
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D