can a kite lose air from hard impact?

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
opie
Contributor
Contributor
can a kite lose air from hard impact?

Post by opie » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:21 pm

My first solo attempt was my first time with my own kite. Within a couple minutes I slammed the kite down on the water hard. Within about 5 minutes I noticed that my kite was very floppy, I ended up self rescuing to reach shore. I blew up the kite at home but could not hear any leaks.
Is it possible I knocked air out of it when it hit the water or is it more likely that I have a leak I cannot hear?
Thanks, Chris

Xor
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: can a kite lose air from hard impact?

Post by Xor » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:47 pm

What kind of kite is that?
It is possible that kite valve came open or tubes that goes to struts opened and slowly leaked.
Pump it good and leave for a while (1hr plus) and then test if it keeps air. Also, inspect that strut tubes are tight (if you have them)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Good-bye... and hello... as always!
Victor

dwaynej
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dwaynej » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:59 pm

Valves themselves can crack/fail after impact. A spray bottle with water and dishwashing liquid is your new best friend. I would start with pumping up the kite and spraying the valve to see if air is leaking around it. If it is the valve, you may be able to replace with a stick on valve without pulling the whole bladder.

My last valve failure was a Cabrinha Switchblade bladder.

opie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by opie » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:28 pm

Thanks for the replies. Its a 2008 best waroo. I filled it and left it for an hour and a half and it held up fine. Maybe I didn't get one of the valves closed well enough.
Thank you, Chris