Zephur not working for me

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
Sledger
Joey
Joey
Zephur not working for me

Post by Sledger » Sat May 30, 2015 10:08 am

New to forum and sport, bought the gear from boardsports 14m 138 board I'm a big boy my wife tells me 230 lb 6'2". I have been regularly going to Alameda I can go both ways downwind and the other day on a decent gust was able to head upwind for a while till Red Hot Chilli Peppers Zephur song came to me which I sang it on the walk back up to the Board shack. I'm quite confident with the kite and board and understand the wind and how to use it, I can get up easy on the board have past experience wake and snow boarding, I'm thinking at this time of year I need another venue to increase my technics and knowledge kiteboarding. I had a couple of lessons to get me where I am now, and of course pick everones brains I talk to that are pro's and do as much research online as I can, which I found is huge Youtube, BAK, etc...
I spoke to a kiter, pilot, flyboy, kiteboarder, what ever we're called that I should look at
Sherman and I just need more consistent wind, looked into it online sounds to be a great place to go. I live on the Peninsula so it'll be a planned excursion, I looked on maps found the carpark is there a map that shows where the the launch in's and out's are or is it something I figure out when I get there
My question is I need to work on my upwind where would I start, where could I end up?
Heck should I just go to 3rd. SS$$

Red_Element_Andy
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Zephur not working for me

Post by Red_Element_Andy » Sat May 30, 2015 12:19 pm

There's a lot going on there, but I think these are the answers you are looking for:

Q: When is a kiter ready for 3rd?
A: You should be able to go upwind as well as 'self-rescue.' If you are just starting to be able to do both tacks (directions), you can go on a mid to low tide day and do a 'mini downwinder' from the upwind launch to the downwind launch. Ask for Sonny at the lower launch for an overview. Watch out for rocks, downwind obstacles, and don't launch when overpowered.

Q: Is there a safe way for a beginner to kite at Sherman?
A: Sorta - Sherman is a very challenging beach. That being said there are a few services to help you do a long downwinder along the river - which is a great way to improve your technique. Captain John (http://kitethebay.com/about-2/captain-john/) is recommended often on this forum for taking folks upwind / supervised riding and instruction.

dwaynej
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dwaynej » Sat May 30, 2015 2:16 pm

Just to throw it out there but that 138cm board is on the small side for you. A bigger board such as a LiteWave Wing 153 or similar board is going to be so much easier to learn with and irrespective what happens in the future, a big board is still useful on light wind days. A bigger board makes for easier water starts and I find they also make awesome upwind machines. Its not the board you would do tricks with, but it is the board that will get you through your initial learning, and get you on the water on marginal days.

I struggled with a board that was too small for me and it wasted a bunch of initial learning time.

Also consider spending a weekend at somewhere like Belmont Shores which provides an awesome venue for learning.... Small waves and plenty of room to go upwind if you can but if you end up downwind, just a walk up the beach. Also gives you the opportunity to test some different board options via renting from http://www.socalkitesurfing.com

I'm around 220 and my board quiver is a Litewave Carbon Kick 145 / Wing 153 / DV8 / AlpineFoil

cncor
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cncor » Sat May 30, 2015 8:21 pm

I ride alameda often due to it's location and it is close to where I live. I am 5'8" 210 ,the setup that I use the most is my 143 x 44 board and a slingshot 14m turbine when it's light. Here is the challenge of alameda=light wind. If you plan on going to alameda you need a light wind kite 15 to 17m and a light wind board a 160 twin tip or a surfboard. I have no problem staying upwind however once in a while I find myself walking up the beach at alameda when the wind is not 100%. The difference between alameda and 3rd is at alameda you have 3 miles of sandy beach. At 3rd you have lots of rocks a sometimes muddy slick upper launch however on the flipside -really good wind and a lower launch to bail out on if the wind gets light. I really like alameda for the beach and I really like 3rd for the wind and the new showers.

ozreiuosn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ozreiuosn » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:49 pm

Like Dwayne, I had stunted my progression because I've been using too small of a board. For a whole season I thought I was a crappy kiter cause I was never able to make it back to where I started, but once I changed boards I turned into an upwind machine.

Xor
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Xor » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:51 pm

I moved to 3rd as soon as I was confident in body dragging and self rescue. Was about at same stage - could get on board and charge downwind in both directions.
If you have plan a (come out at lower launch mid to low tide), plan b (land kite and windup lines before rocks) and can bodydrag upwind to retrieve board - just go for it. 3rd has good wind on NW days.
The only catch - 14m is too big for 3rd this time of a year. You would need smaller kite most of the time when 3rd works.
Also, keep second leash to attach board while winding up lines.

With boards it is tricky, I found myself that big board limited my progress it was bouncy huge 08 cabrinha prodigy. The day I got 136x40 09 f-one - I went upwind. Now I'm riding 130x40 and find it goes upwind and planes as early as prev 136x40. So it all depends on the board width + type (rocker, concave, outline, etc.), this is a lot more important than length.
Good-bye... and hello... as always!
Victor

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:09 am

Like people said above, there is a lot going on with your questions.

A) are you ready for third? If you can bodydrag upwind to go back to your board and self-rescue IN DEEP WATER (aka, not in waist deep water with your feet on the sand like in Alameda) then yes, you are probably ready. BUT like mentioned, your kite is too big. What you could do is go WITH somebody who knows third avenue EARLY before the wind picks up too much. I find myself riding my 14m there when I'm the first one in the water around noon or 1pm.
Or invest in an 11m asap.

B) are you ready for Sherman? Answer is simple: NO. If you can't go upwind then you are not ready yet. And I'm not saying "kind of being able to go upwind but not all the time but sort of". No. You need to be able to ride upwind right from the start. Period.

C) At this point in time, if I were you, I would invest in an 11m and go to third with a buddy who can ride and spend the first half hour looking at what people do. Also, like mentioned above, go talk to sonny at the lower launch. If you can go early in the day, I'll be more than happy to help you as well (I might actually go there early tomorrow).
You could also do a few hours with captain John which is a fantastic way to put water time under your belt without having the hassle of setting up on land.
And like mentioned above, you can get boat rides at Sherman island to bring you waaaaay upwind and have an assisted downwinder. The problem with that is that you still need to be able to land at Sherman, which is not an easy task for a beginner. Again, I would recommend to just spend some times at the launch and watch people.

I think you're fine with a 138 board. Yes, it would be easier to learn on something bigger but not mandatory. I would invest in an 11m kite instead.

Cheers and good luck!
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:14 am

le noun wrote:Like people said above, there is a lot going on with your questions.

A) are you ready for third? If you can bodydrag upwind to go back to your board and self-rescue IN DEEP WATER (aka, not in waist deep water with your feet on the sand like in Alameda) then yes, you are probably ready. BUT like mentioned, your kite is too big. What you could do is go WITH somebody who knows third avenue EARLY before the wind picks up too much. I find myself riding my 14m there when I'm the first one in the water around noon or 1pm.
Or invest in an 11m asap.

B) are you ready for Sherman? Answer is simple: NO. If you can't go upwind then you are not ready yet. And I'm not saying "kind of being able to go upwind but not all the time but sort of". No. You need to be able to ride upwind right from the start. Period.

C) At this point in time, if I were you, I would invest in an 11m and go to third with a buddy who can ride and spend the first half hour looking at what people do. Also, like mentioned above, go talk to sonny at the lower launch. If you can go early in the day, I'll be more than happy to help you as well (I might actually go there early tomorrow).
You could also do a few hours with captain John which is a fantastic way to put water time under your belt without having the hassle of setting up on land.
And like mentioned above, you can get boat rides at Sherman island to bring you waaaaay upwind and have an assisted downwinder. The problem with that is that you still need to be able to land at Sherman, which is not an easy task for a beginner. Again, I would recommend to just spend some times at the launch and watch people.

D) other venue to consider would be toll plaza. Not as windy as third but more windy than Alameda and pretty shallow. You definitely need a friend around to keep an eye on you though as you are close to the freeway.

I think you're fine with a 138 board. Yes, it would be easier to learn on something bigger but not mandatory. I would invest in an 11m kite instead.

Cheers and good luck!
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

Sledger
Joey
Joey

Post by Sledger » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:22 am

Wow terrific advice from all I'm impressed, I'm glad on the feed back about Sherman I did not want to go there and screw up thank you. I had gone to 3rd on Saturday and just checked out the park, launch areas, and all the activity its a little intimidating with the bridge, rocks, mud, and exposure to the bay, but I was pumped to know I'll be splashing and crashing there soon, it being 15-20 minutes from home.
The past couple of days I've been finishing were I start or round about's, so I guess it's starting to all click. I'm doing self rescue workshops when I go out to refresh myself with equipment and tangles. Alameda has had a few good days of wind which I found has helped my progress upwind, looking at smaller kites now. Should I stick with the same manufacturer as the kite I have or get a different make?

Red_Element_Andy
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Red_Element_Andy » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:00 am

Using the same kite in multiple sizes has a few advantages:
-Progression: It's easier to land tricks, transitions, and jumps if you are practicing them on the same gear (even in different wind/kite size). Using the same kite minimizes the noise, in particular when learning something that requires timing (e.g. back-roll transition).
-Safety system: Having the same safety system in each size (e.g. same bar in two sizes) helps build muscle memory, so that when you are in a bad spot you can 'punch out' regardless of what kite you are on that day.
-Synergy/Backups: Having the same bar / rigging / materials / parts is good when travelling. Either you have a backup bar when one is broken/lost etc, or you simply take only one, saving on weight and hassle on shorter trips.