Zephur not working for me

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
le noun
Old School
Old School
Re: Zephur not working for me

Post by le noun » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:03 pm

Red_Element_Andy wrote:Using the same kite in multiple sizes has a few advantages:
-Progression: It's easier to land tricks, transitions, and jumps if you are practicing them on the same gear (even in different wind/kite size). Using the same kite minimizes the noise, in particular when learning something that requires timing (e.g. back-roll transition).
-Safety system: Having the same safety system in each size (e.g. same bar in two sizes) helps build muscle memory, so that when you are in a bad spot you can 'punch out' regardless of what kite you are on that day.
-Synergy/Backups: Having the same bar / rigging / materials / parts is good when travelling. Either you have a backup bar when one is broken/lost etc, or you simply take only one, saving on weight and hassle on shorter trips.
What he says. MJ0_
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

Xor
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Xor » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:54 pm

On the other hand, if you decide to get second hand kite of the same universal/freeride type (do not get dedicated wave, c-type or another special purpose kites) and if it is compatible with existing bar/kite (e.g. both kites uses 4 lines bars with equal length lines) it will show you what you like on a kites.
For example I had f-one bandit 9m and wainman boss 12m and preferred to use wainman bar with both, but then I felt that I like faster kites more and upgraded my quiver. Getting used helps to not only save a lot of money buying it, but most likely you would be able to sell it for similar by the end of the year if you decide to move to different kites.
And no, I had no trouble to switch between them while learning.
Good-bye... and hello... as always!
Victor

g00mbs
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by g00mbs » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:28 am

All the advice here is really good. I have some comments to add about kite size and board.

I'm your size (230lbs and 6'1"). I started on a 14m and a 137cm board. I transitioned to 3rd at about your stage of kite progression. I was fine on the 14m and 137 up to about 20kt gusts. The kite will pull a decent amount, but I found that helpful at the early stages. Not enough pull and I wouldn't be able to edge. If the wind goes up above 20kts you might find it hard to stay upwind as the kite will just pull you down wind, despite your edging. My intention here isn't to start a huge topic on kite size discussion. Different sized people need the equipment that suits them for a given wind condition. If you are looking for your next sized kite, I'd go with a 12m. That should work when the wind is consistently between 18-23kts. That will cover you for most days at 3rd for your size. I found that I could be on a 9m from 20-30kts (lulls to gusts).

The wind this year at 3rd has not really been consistent and the offshore flow can make it tricky sometimes with wind direction shifts. It will feel like the wind died, but actually it just shifted and will change your upwind heading. This will happen between the launch and the channel. This change in upwind heading will most likely appear to you as going downwind.

Low tide at 3rd is a double edged sword in my mind. It is great if you get stuck out or need to self rescue from the fact that you can walk in from pretty far out. The not so great part, is the mud. You'll learn to love it.

I preferred the higher tide when learning at 3rd, but that me.