Wind predictions - help

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
mhansman
Joey
Joey
Wind predictions - help

Post by mhansman » Thu May 21, 2015 7:23 am

Hi everyone - not sure how frequently users look at the forum...if you get see this any day besides today, it's too late...

I'm a newbie, have been 'excused from lessons' now, and starting to go on my own.

Looking to drive from Santa Cruz to Alameda this pm, and want to get people's opinion on the wind predictions before making the 1.5hr drive. Looks like wind predictions for 13mph with gust to 15-17 today. Is this generally enough wind for a 190# guy on a 12m kite?

thanks

irvinside
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Wind predictions - help

Post by irvinside » Thu May 21, 2015 8:22 am

Hi mhansman,
ikitesurf 7am forecast is not good.
looks pretty dead to me today to be honnest, expect if you are 14yo or have a foil ... :-)
But I have only been to Alameda a few times lately... so I'll hope someone will correct me.

Have fun kiteboarding !!

-Greg
Kites: Gong Strutless V2: 12m, 9m, BRM Cloud D.0 6.2
Board: F-One Mitu Monteiro 5'10", Moses Onda 91 + Groove skate
Harness: ION B2
Wetsuit: ION Strike Amp 2017

mcfly777
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by mcfly777 » Thu May 21, 2015 8:31 am

Hey mhansman
I am about the same weight as you and also fly 12m most of the time. I don't go out unless it is at least 16-17 knots on a twintip. I recently bought an Airush Sector to serve as my lightwind board and I can go much lower than that.

Either way today won't happen unless there is a big unexpected change which is really not common in such a short period of time. Wait until Friday (maybe) or even better Saturday as it is looking good.

Leo

mhansman
Joey
Joey

Post by mhansman » Thu May 21, 2015 12:42 pm

Super helpful you guys - thanks.

Saved me 3 hours of driving.

Matt

Kyle
Regular
Regular

Post by Kyle » Thu May 21, 2015 1:15 pm

ikitesurf will save you from lots of driving time and skunked sessions. if you're new to the sport you might not realize you can actually pay for someone to tell you likelihood for wind at our best kite beaches:) the link below saves you $20; membership is worth every penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcfly777
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by mcfly777 » Thu May 21, 2015 4:20 pm

+1 on ikitesurf. no forecast is perfect but this one is really good and updated 3x/day during the season.