Wetsuit Back Gate/Flap

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
g00mbs
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Wetsuit Back Gate/Flap

Post by g00mbs » Mon May 11, 2015 10:21 am

Just wondering if people have opinions on entry systems for wetsuits.

I currently have a wetsuit that has a pullover gate/flap/bib (whatever you want to call it) that goes over your head and around your neck. The purpose is to keep water out that might enter through the zipper. The current wetsuit I own is a 2012 NPX Zealot 4/3. There are a bunch of designs that have this from other manufactures (ION, etc).

I'm now in the market for a new wetsuit and have found the O'Neill Heat 4/3 to fit well, but not have the flap. Does anyone have experience with both types of designs and would not having the gate/flap/bib be a deal breaker?

My goal is to have a suit that will work for 3rd and the coast.

le noun
Old School
Old School

Re: Wetsuit Back Gate/Flap

Post by le noun » Tue May 12, 2015 7:38 am

I use a 5/4 for the coast or crissy.
I think 4/3 is fine until you have to swim due to kite failure...
4/3 is fine for 3rd ave though (or anywhere else inside the bay once you've passed Alcatraz)
Front zip or back zip don't make much of a difference to me, I can get in and out of both without problem.
I like the little back flap when surfing, comes in handy when duck diving, so yes, it's a deal breaker for me, but if you don't surf you probably won't care much.
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D