harness pops open spontaneously

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
seashell
Contributor
Contributor
harness pops open spontaneously

Post by seashell » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:32 pm

I'm using a Prolimit Pure Edge harness, and the spreader bar occasionally pops open when I'm flying the kite. Is this normal? If not, is there anything I can do about it, or should I look for a harness with a different design?

etxxz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: harness pops open spontaneously

Post by etxxz » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:35 pm

https://vimeo.com/78915245

sounds like that pin release mechanism is either too shallow and/or the rubber band that is supposed to keep it secure is not strong enough. My Mystic Warrior 2 harness has a similar mechanism, but its actually difficult to release. Which i prefer. That's something i don't ever want undone by mistake... like the first Dakine - spreader bar type - harness i had. Junk.

Maybe there's a way to salvage what you have. Contact the company. Maybe they'll replace the rubber piece with a stronger one. Or maybe you'll have to. Say some kind of rubber or neoprene tube. Spreader Bar is NOT a safety. The chicken loop and safety straps are stage one and stage two. You don't need any more, or any less.

seashell
Contributor
Contributor

Post by seashell » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:38 pm

It helps to know I'm supposed to be having a less stressful experience. If I'm not able to rig up a fix, I'll look into that Mystic harness. Thank you!

KGB Kiteboarding
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by KGB Kiteboarding » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:06 am

seashell, bring your harness to KGB and we can get it sorted for you. Sounds to me like it just needs a little tweaking and you may also may not have it worn/adjusted properly.
KGB Kiteboarding
Kite shop & IKO Center
3310 Powell St
Emeryville, CA 94608

KGB Westside-By Jason Reyes
Lessons Only
400 Sierra Point Pkwy
Brisbane, CA 94005

(888)411-0732
1pm-6pm Daily April-Sept
http://www.kgbswag.com
info@kgbswag.com

Batshitcrazy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Batshitcrazy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:14 am

I had this same issue with an old harness. U gotta check what the latch mechanism is like but on mine I made an easy repair with a segment of road bike tire and it worked great.

seashell
Contributor
Contributor

Post by seashell » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:47 am

Thanks for the suggestions. In case any one else has this problem, here is what happened. I had my harness inspected to make sure that I was wearing it properly. I went out immediately afterwards, and the harness only stayed closed for 10 minutes. I was able to rig up a temporary fix by wrapping a yard of cord around the spreader bar after closing it, but that was rather tedious. I'm now using an Ion Sol harness (which has a different release mechanism), and I'm much happier with it.