do you kitesurf backside or switch?

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
tommy
Contributor
Contributor
do you kitesurf backside or switch?

Post by tommy » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:03 am

i surf regular - left foot forward
if you're kitesurfing lefts and you're regular, do you surf backside
or switch and learn to surf goofy?
i could see many advantages to learning to surf / kitesurf switch, just wondering what the norm is

friggin old guy
Regular
Regular

Re: do you kitesurf backside or switch?

Post by friggin old guy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:26 pm

Most folks ride waves just like they would if they're surfing......too much muscle memory to ride switch if you've been surfing for awhile.

If you can learn to jibe in flat water carving turns switch maybe that's an option for you, but I think exception to the norm. When approaching a turn on their weak side (for regular foot like you and me, that's when you're riding with right foot forward), most folks will switch their feet prior to the jibe so you can carve the turn with your dominant foot in the back. Figuring out how to carve turns is key to getting comfortable in waves.

My eye-opener for the possibilities of kiting in the waves was riding toeside....THAT's the thing. Switching over from a twin tip to a directional board is a key progression too.

Looks to me like you're at the stage where your big progression will be keeping from losing ground downwind. The kite is a wing, not a sail......you get the kite flying in a certain direction upwind and then get the board to match that direction. It takes awhile to get that feeling, but I think it should be your next aha moment, and its a good feeling when you don't have to do the walk of shame back to the shack......but we've all been there.......

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Re: do you kitesurf backside or switch?

Post by WindMuch » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:24 am

What John said.

I'm also regular foot and ride toe-side on my outbound tack (here on the West coast with a predominant W/NW wind direction). This allows for a super quick toe to heel-side turn back to the beach if/when an on-coming wave isn't looking like something you want to deal with. Call it a "chicken jibe" if you like, but it's a key move in the surf, especially when it gets big.

When riding lefts, I go backside.

Kirk out