Kiteboarding lessons at Sherman

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
peter19ue
Contributor
Contributor
Kiteboarding lessons at Sherman

Post by peter19ue » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:41 pm

So if I want to take a few ,ore kiteboarding lessons at Sherman and then do a few assisted downwinders should I see Donny at Kiteopia or Nat at Edge or can I not go wrong with either?
Thx, Pete

le noun
Old School
Old School

Re: Kiteboarding lessons at Sherman

Post by le noun » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:45 pm

I think both are good options. I think Eugenia at the kite bar in Pittsburg also has a fantastic set up with her tiny island in the middle of the river.

I think mostly what people have been trying to say with lessons and assisted downwinder is that you need to be able to go upwind 100% before launching at Sherman island.
Launching at the cove and planning on landing at little Baja is in my opinion foolish and asking for trouble.
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

peter19ue
Contributor
Contributor

Post by peter19ue » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:03 pm

Thanks for the info. I live close to Sherman and that's why I was hoping to learn there but if I have to go the Alameda or Third that's always an option. I also have a pwc so if I took some more lessons from an instructor and then had someone take me on the pwc and drop me off way upwind and keep an eye on me do you that that would be an option. When I get close to the cove or an island I could do a self rescue, roll up the kite and then hop on the pwc to get a ride back. That way I would not have to worry about staying upwind or landing at the cove or little Baja. Just trying to come up with some ideas. I'm itching to get out so maybe I'll see if I can get away to Baja and take some lessons down there with winter. Thanks again, Pete

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:19 pm

Seems like you have your head on your shoulder and that you know SI from windsurfing, so I'm not too worried that you'll make the right choices.
The pwc solution sounds pretty good and assisted downwinders until you can ride upwind are definitely a possibility (they coast less than actual lessons).
Good luck and see you in the water! SS$$
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

peter19ue
Contributor
Contributor

Post by peter19ue » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:07 pm

Gotcha. I will definitely take some lessons and so some assisted downwinders and make sure I can go upwind and be proficient with the kite before I attempt to land or take off from the cove. By no means do I want to risk endangering anyone or myself. I look forward to meeting you and hopefully I can get some pointers from you guys.

AD72
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by AD72 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:34 pm

+1 for Kitopia lessons.