Beginner Kites Sizes and Board for Sherman

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
peter19ue
Contributor
Contributor
Beginner Kites Sizes and Board for Sherman

Post by peter19ue » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:44 pm

So I just took my first lessons in Maui and I'm hooked. I plan on purchasing 2 kites during the off season (was going to get some Best TS kites) since that's what I learned on. I weight 180lbs and was thinking a 9mm and 12mm. I still plan on windsurfing when it's really windy so I don't need a kite for really windy days. Would that be a good combo for Sherman?
I also need a board and have been told to look at a Mako, Armando, or a Trax board. Does anyone have experience with those brands or maybe recommend another board that is good to learn and progress on? Finally is a Nat the guy to talk to about doing a downwinder? I'm really looking forward to next season and merting some fellow kiters at Sherman
Thanks, Pete

okclimber
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Beginner Kites Sizes and Board for Sherman

Post by okclimber » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:17 am

Hey Pete welcome to kiteboarding, and kudos on taking a lesson to get acquainted.

Before going to Sherman, you need to be able to launch and land quickly and efficiently, and have solid upwind riding ability. A downwinder with Nat is also a good idea to get familiar with the area.

In the meantime, your 12m will allow you to hone your skills at Alameda or 3rd. Once you are ready, i think your 9m will be a good fit for Sherman's winds.

Welcome again, look forward to seeing you on the water!

sanjose_kiter
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by sanjose_kiter » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:20 am

Hey Peter.
I don't think Sherman is a good spot to learn kitesurfing . At Sherman, you need to be able to go upwind reliably because you do not want to go downwind and force to come on-shore toward the levee with the slippery rocks while holding your kite, your board ... and while the wind is blowing 20 - 30 ... A slip, or any mistake and you could get dragged toward the rocks, the tree branches .... Stick with Alameda then progress to 3rd ave then Sherman.
For kite size, I 'd go with 10 & 13 meters instead of 9 & 12. I am 150 lbs and my quiver is 9, 12, and 15 which cover pretty much all bay area spots in 95% of all conditions.

As for the boards, I don't know much about the Mako or Armando but I believe F-one Trax is not a beginner board, I tried the Trax before and found it to be too slippery and difficult to control. You should get a beginner special board , i.e long & wide rather than a particular brand.

good luck

peter19ue
Contributor
Contributor

Post by peter19ue » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:02 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm always at Sherman windsurfing and know it's a really tough place to launch and land at plus you have to worry about going downwind but it's the closest place to where I live. If I took a couple more lessons with Nat and did a whole bunch of downwinders I'm hoping I'd be able to eventually launch and land at the access or little Baja during the week when it's not that crowded. So it sounds like maybe a 10 and 13m kite would be better then a 9 and 12m kite if I only plan on kiting at Sherman when it's not super windy. Would a 7m be the smallest kite I would need at Sherman when I'm better and it's really windy. Thanks again for any time and advice.

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:09 pm

Hello, it is my opinion a 9m ..12m quiver is perfect for sherman.

As for getting flooded up the river, I recommend dumping your kite and rolling it up just like a self rescue rather than trying to walk your kite in the air up the rocks.

Adventually you will want a 7m too.

peter19ue
Contributor
Contributor

Post by peter19ue » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:29 pm

Thanks for the info. Wish the season was starting up soon since I'm itching to get out again. Since I can''t get down to La Ventana this winter think I'm going to pick up some used gear this offseason and then take some lessons in spring and then keep doing downwinders with Nat until I've got it figured out. I'll only go out during the week when it's not as crowded. On really windy days I'll stick to windsurfing until I've got the kitesurfing thing down. I really want to end up on a surfboard and foil since I skyski behind the boat but it know that's a ways off. Really looking forward to meeting you guys next season

PS. For my first board do I want something that's wide and floaty?

Cosmicocean
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Cosmicocean » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:53 pm

Hi, IMHO if a surfboard shape riding is your goal
Start ditectly on a strapped directional,
I have two seasons take to learn how to toeside/start trying jybing and hitting the sea,
On a twintip you can always just redirect, so maybe dont practice as much,
My 0.005 cent.

Go directional

peter19ue
Contributor
Contributor

Post by peter19ue » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:19 pm

Gotcha. So you think I would be okay learning on a strapped surfboard. I do have wakeboarding experience. Maybe I'll pick up a cheap used twintip and surfboard and give them both a try.

Cosmicocean
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Cosmicocean » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:33 pm

Xactly,
The more toys, the merrier.!. ;^{)>

peter19ue
Contributor
Contributor

Post by peter19ue » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:38 pm

Yup. Selling all my boat foiling gear to support this new addiction!