The Ideal Set Up for Alemeda

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
mf1tym
Contributor
Contributor
The Ideal Set Up for Alemeda

Post by mf1tym » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:13 pm

I am wondering what is an ideal set up as a beginning to kite at Alameda.

I am 6 foot, 175lb.

I took my lessons last year and is looking to practice my waterstart, going both directions, and eventually going upwind in Alameda.

I noticed that wind at alameda ranges from 9mph to 15mph during the summer.

I am looking at the Ocean Rodeo Flite 14.5M (the board I have is a 138cm) Is this a good kite to be using in Alameda? (I do suspect that I will be training at Alameda for a few seasons before graduating to 3rd)

Thanks

cliftoncutshall
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: The Ideal Set Up for Alemeda

Post by cliftoncutshall » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:25 pm

The kite size is good for light wind 15-20. The problem with learning @ Alemeda is light variable wind is the most difficult and frustrating condition to learn in. Much better off paying for boat support and lessons in a reliable windy spot.

ozreiuosn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ozreiuosn » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:53 am

Light wind kiting is more of an advanced skill. A 12m vs a 14.5+m isn't going to make much of a difference for a beginner in Alameda conditions.

If you're just now hitting the water in Alameda, don't expect to be doing upwind there by the end of the season. You're gonna need to schedule lessons at other sites.

mf1tym
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mf1tym » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:37 pm

Thank you guys. That kind of solved a bit of my confusion.