Gear for a beginner

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
Inez
Contributor
Contributor
Gear for a beginner

Post by Inez » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:14 pm

Hey,

Last season I took 6-7 hours of lessons and now I'm looking to buy my own gear.

What would you recommend if I want to use it mostly around San Francisco (that's where I live): so at the beginning perhaps Alameda and 3rd Avenue, and some day hopefully Crissy Field.

I'm 6'3" and 185 lbs.

I think 12sqm kite should work for me (not sure which brand and model) but I completly don't know which board to buy.

kandrey89
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Gear for a beginner

Post by kandrey89 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:08 pm

I'm also a beginner, 6'5" and 180lbs (185lbs on a happy dinner day NACF ).
For myself I'm looking for a 138cm to 145cm.
The larger the board the easier it floats you and helps beginners.

biba
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by biba » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:53 am

Go with the 12 kite and a larger board first while you learn. 141-150cm should do. Later this will become your light wind "larger board". Go for a medium rocker that is, not the freestyle ones, ideally inquire if it's a light wind board.

Small kite + large board combo is better for a beginner than vice versa. You will be able to tame the kite much better in light to normal winds. Get a 3 strut vs 5 kite, it will help you in lighter winds to relaunch and keep the kite flying.

You should be good to go in 13-17kts with that combo (large board). Avoid hitting 20 kts until you are comfy with that. it's frustrating to bounce around on high wind day plus wrestle on launch/landing.

Xor
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Xor » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:16 am

From my personal experience, cheap large board might be theoretically good for practicing waterstarts, but becomes pain in the arse to practice upwind if it is too big.

I was practicing with 148x40 '08 Cabrinha Prodigy (cheap all-rounder board) and I had hard time edging it, as well it was bouncy as hell in the chop. Bought used F-One Trax '09 (Expensive high-tech board) 136x40 and was able to go upwind on the first try, and happy with this board in all conditions.

My recommendation would be to go with a better used board regular size that you will use in the future, that has good planing, great upwind and cuts through chop. Only later you will feel what kind of discipline is for you and what kind of board you like to get (and demo first), e.g. surfboard or alaia or foil or wakestyle, etc...

If you struggle with water starts and board control - better spend some time with wakeboarding (like cable or boat).
Good-bye... and hello... as always!
Victor

Inez
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Inez » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:14 pm

So how about 2012 north Vegas 12m with bar and lines for $950. Does it sound like a good beginner kite? And the price?

Xor
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Xor » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:52 pm

950 for a '12? O_o
I got my two kites (2012) with bars for 1k total this April.
Victor

Inez
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Inez » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:52 pm

Xor wrote:950 for a '12? O_o
I got my two kites (2012) with bars for 1k total this April.
Where, where? Just craiglist?

Xor
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Xor » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:45 am

From another BAK member, check classfields on this site: https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/forum/buysell/
Victor

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:32 am

I don't know if a C kite is the best idea for a beginner. Usually harder to relaunch than delta canopies. Just my 2 cents.
Also agree with xor, $950 for a 2012 model is a little pricey unless it's new (never been used, not even once). Would be an ok price for 2013 used.
The classified section on this forum is a good source like xor said.
Just saw an ad for a whole quiver of RDD addiction (9m, 11m and 13m) all together for $1,100.
Race kites are probably not the best either for beginners but just to give you an idea... (probably easier to relaunch in the water than C kites though).
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

irvinside
Contributor
Contributor

Post by irvinside » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:20 pm

The Vegas is an Excellent kite but C-Shape might not be the best to start with especially with the 5th line, kiteloop machine needing some time to get use to (the vegas has also issues in low-range so not recommended for low-winds ) but so comfortable and fun when the wind takes up...great kite 4 sure,

but might be easier to go for a Delta-C/Delta shape to begin:

from the ones I have been playing with with:
- North NEO
- Fone Volt (now Trust)

I really loved the NEO...Makes you feel in control and so stable. You cannot be wrong ... (a bit slow when you'll get use to it, but so easy and comfortable. Good also to learn jumping). Great combination with the North Gonzales board.

F-One are great to start also MJ0_

But so many other great kites around... enjoy !!
Kites: Gong Strutless V2: 12m, 9m, BRM Cloud D.0 6.2
Board: F-One Mitu Monteiro 5'10", Moses Onda 91 + Groove skate
Harness: ION B2
Wetsuit: ION Strike Amp 2017