Am I ready for 3rd?

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
Cos
Joey
Joey
Am I ready for 3rd?

Post by Cos » Thu May 22, 2014 11:17 pm

Hey guys,
I am a new rider 2 and a half seasons. I been going to Alameda for the most of my sessions. Can get up and ride both ways consistently. Last few weekends were awesome at Alameda. I was able to get lots of water time in on my 9m. Working on getting my board upwind, and try to hold my ground, but eventually mistakes add up and I end up at the end of the beach.

With Alameda being so flaky, I don't want my progression to stall and continue working on my upwind riding and transitions. Do you guys think I am ready to launch at 3rd? I got a 9m and 12m Naish Cults should cover the 3rd ave range, unless is nuking, then Alameda is pry an option.

If anyone in the same boat and wants to meet up there. Let me know.
Thanks
9M, 12M Naish Cult
2013 Nobile T5 137

le noun
Old School
Old School

Re: Am I ready for 3rd?

Post by le noun » Thu May 22, 2014 11:37 pm

You're good for third if your self rescue skills are good.
You WILL END UP down to the lower launch.
Like any newbee you will drop your kite in the wind shadow of the golf course. Then it's a race to get back to your kite before the current sends it into the rocks.
This will happen at high tide. Mid to low tide, you'll be able to walk in the mud.
Ask for sonny at the lower launch to give you a tour (or any other rider from the lower launch crew, they all rock). Lots of hazard to know about.
But if you're careful, third can be safe and you will spend way more time in the water than at alameda during the summer.
Feel free to pm me if you want a tour of the spot on a week day.
I'm usually working during the weekends. SS$$
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

dontfeedthenerd
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dontfeedthenerd » Fri May 23, 2014 4:16 pm

Another option would be to get a downwinder at Sherman, either through Nat at Edge or Chris at Nauticat. You sound like you're ready. Just take a look a the landing spot before you head upwind.

If the current's right you can get 2 straight hours of riding in easy.

Cos
Joey
Joey

Post by Cos » Sat May 24, 2014 9:41 pm

Thanks for advice, I might hit you up on a week day.

Отправлено из моего iPad используя Tapatalk
9M, 12M Naish Cult
2013 Nobile T5 137

ddubwinokur
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ddubwinokur » Mon May 26, 2014 10:58 am

Yeah, you sound pretty damn ready for third, as I'm hearing it. I was in your boat for a long time and delayed going to third -- but it was transitioning to third that really helped me to progress.

As le noun said, you will definitely experience the joy of departing from the upper launch and coming back down to the lower launch. There are certainly hazards associated with this, but it can be done safely and easily. Zero-problem self-rescue skills are a must, but guessing from 2.5 seasons at Alameda, you probably have that already.

Getting knowledgeable about the tides will make you a lot more comfortable when you come into the lower launch. When self-resucing at low tide, the lower launch is a long slog through mud. This is helpful to keep in mind as you plan your days out.

If you PM me, I'm happy to meet you at 3rd one day and explain the site to you. I expect lots of folks would be happy to share their experiences if you show up one day and ask around.

DW

Cos
Joey
Joey

Post by Cos » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:36 pm

Update.
Got out to 3rd twice in the last week, both days on the weekday. Talked to some dudes, they were very encouraging and helpful. Great wind 18+ used my 9m; I am light so that worked great for me. First day out I dragged out about 100 yards, butchered my water start (its my weak side) and actually lost sight of the board. Took me 4 tacks body dragging upwind to get it insight. Grabbed it, continued going out. At the flag at the end of the golf course, tacked back to the lower beach. Rode almost all the way there. A guy landed my kite.

Did the same drill yesterday, was a bit more successful and was able to get more time in the water and exit at the lower beach.

I can totally see the massive wind shadow at the lower beach. I went out at the higher tide, I didn't have to do a mud hike.

Next time will try to do some laps and walk my kite up the bike path. Is it legit/safe for all the users, bikes, peds? Don't want to break the rules.

Thanks
9M, 12M Naish Cult
2013 Nobile T5 137

jsin138
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jsin138 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:13 pm

Cos wrote:Update.

Next time will try to do some laps and walk my kite up the bike path. Is it legit/safe for all the users, bikes, peds? Don't want to break the rules.
Glad you are having success at 3rd. Not sure what you mean by walking kite up path. Under no circumstances should you be flying a kite on or near the bike path. The only place @ 3rd you should be flying a kite while on land is at the upper launch while safely entering/exiting the water.

If you are speaking of carrying your kite up the path, that is totally acceptable & what you should be doing. Make sure you have control of the kite & move out of the way for bikes & pedestrians. To make carrying easier, you can tie a short piece of rope on the pump leash attachment of the kites leading edge to use as a handle.

Another thing is body dragging. Smart move dragging way out before water starting. You wanna be far away from the rocks & other people entering/exiting the water. You are in a great point in your progression to hone your body dragging skills. Remember you can body drag upwind. This can really increase your water time & save having to walk back up to the launch all the time.

Don't be shy asking for a quick 3rd Ave tour, most are more than happy to help you out. I'll be there today - pm me, anyone else in this thread, find Sonny or just ask around.

sanjose_kiter
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by sanjose_kiter » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:15 pm

Lots of people walked their kites up the bike path though I personally never did it.
Just be mindful that pedestrians and bikers might tangle with your kite briddle and could have nasty crashes.

Cos
Joey
Joey

Post by Cos » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:45 pm

Had a great session at 3rd yesterday, I can now ride upwind and start and end my session at the upper launch. Had hard time wiping a smile off my face when I exited the water at the upper launch where I left my bag.
9M, 12M Naish Cult
2013 Nobile T5 137

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:27 am

Cos wrote:Had a great session at 3rd yesterday, I can now ride upwind and start and end my session at the upper launch. Had hard time wiping a smile off my face when I exited the water at the upper launch where I left my bag.
Congrats! MJ0_
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D