11m kite minimum and maximum wind mph

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
jansch
Joey
Joey
11m kite minimum and maximum wind mph

Post by jansch » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:06 pm

hey guys,

I am very new to the scene and was wondering what's the maximum wind speed you would go out on a 11m kite?

I've read online that you should be able to use a 11m kite anywhere between 12-29mph but i am not sure. My kite is a 2012 free ride kite from cabrnha. My weight is about 186lbs.

Also, I mainly go to 3rd Ave and was wondering if there are any better spots for the rest of the year?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Jan

biba
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: 11m kite minimum and maximum wind mph

Post by biba » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:03 pm

Sounds like you will be fine up to 25 mph, considering your weight.
On the lower end, it matters a lot about your skills in going in light wind, aka, getting your weight off the board and onto the kite, sining your kite, etc. As a beginner i doubt you will be able to fly that in less than 15 mph wind.

Most common size on a regular, non light and not a nuke day is 12m that you will see at 3rd. And that's between 15-25 mph winds.

The problem with rest of the year is the wind presence, consistency and if you want.. texture.