First Kite - 2012 Cabrinha Vector 12m ...?

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
SkinnyP
Joey
Joey
First Kite - 2012 Cabrinha Vector 12m ...?

Post by SkinnyP » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:46 am

Hi All,

I've all but completed my lessons, and am hitting the classifieds for my first kite, which I'll be using primarily in Alameda.

I found what looks like an amazing deal: a brand new 2012 Cabrinha Vector 12m for $820. The reviews suggest that it is a good 'beginners kite', as well as what a Cabrinha rep posted back in February:
Vector is really a nice kite...about $200 less per size than the SB. I really like it in the smaller sizes. Because of it's smooth power delivery, stability, speed, it is the choice of Jason Stone, wakeskater extraordinaire. Haven't heard alot about it as unfortunately it got dubbed as a beginner kite because alot of schools use it as well as the SB, and that Cabrinha dropped previous models thought to be beginner kites. It's a three strut kite.
With the end of the season approaching, 12m seems like a good size (I'm about 180lbs).

$820 seems ridiculously low for a kite that is listing online for $1200 new, and $900 on eBay.

Any advice or insight would be most appreciated.

MehYam
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: First Kite - 2012 Cabrinha Vector 12m ...?

Post by MehYam » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:26 pm

That's a good deal. Can't go wrong. I haven't tried that model, but if it's anything like their previous "beginners" kites (the Omega, Convert, etc), it'll last and you'll get good mileage out of it. By the time you get to be comfortable going upwind, you'll probably want a smaller kite in an 8, 9, or 10 to fill out your quiver anyway, and you can keep the 12m around as your light/lighter wind go-to toy.

Enjoy.

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:20 am

it's a 2 year old kite. it's not a ridiculously low price. it's a reasonable price. 2014s are out now.

looking at ebay listings, I see them selling (completed listings) for $750-$799

seems like a decent deal for a beginner kite.
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

SkinnyP
Joey
Joey

Post by SkinnyP » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:10 pm

Thanks for the input guys!

Just to follow up, I ended up buying it. There was a bit of a learning curve, with its 'Integrated Depower System" that I wasn't familiar with (nor were those assisting me). But once I got that sorted, I've been very happy with it. Very easy to launch from land, and relatively easy when it's in the water (though I have nothing to compare that against).

Thanks again for your comments,
-Paul