lessons tommorow!!

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
Jamo04AT
Contributor
Contributor
lessons tommorow!!

Post by Jamo04AT » Thu May 30, 2013 9:41 pm

Hi guys so I'm taking my lessons tommorow in Alameda or san mateo, they are saying the wind conditions might not be great st Alameda so we may go to san mateo. Anyways I'm really excited about it.

Anyways my profession is a heavy equipment mechanic, as far as sports goes motocross is a lifestyle (spent way too much time on dirtbikes) as a hobby I like bodyboarding , surfing, wakeboarding but prefer wakeskating. As cross training I like SUP and mountain biking.

I also like to jetski so if mabye someone wants to downwind sometime I would love to trade that assistance for some kiteboarding knowledge. Anyways , really excited about tommorow, never taken a lesson in ANY sport, but obviously this sport is nuttttttsss so of course I wanna try it and potentially get into it (safely) Haha. Lookin forward the sport!!!

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Thu May 30, 2013 9:57 pm

Good luck!! You'll probably end up at San Mateo but hopefully some good winds will come through. Just remember to sheet out and everything will be alright. Then when the kite is moving…SHEET IN and it's like harnessing a rocket.

Ron
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: lessons tommorow!!

Post by Ron » Thu May 30, 2013 9:58 pm

I hope your lesson went well. PM me if you wanna kite and jetski. We can mix sports and I can help with your sailing skills. I live in Alameda.

Jamo04AT
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jamo04AT » Thu May 30, 2013 10:05 pm

Haha I don't know any of the terms yet but I'm sure ill know what sheeting in and out will be by tommorow! Sounds good I live in brentwood, close to Sherman island (kinda) which is very jetski friendly lol a lot warmer! Never rode in the bay but that would be awsome. I'll let yall know hoe it goes!

Oh one other thing, I'm lookin at an 08 north rebel complete with harness all un used for 800, sound fair? And its 12m...that a good size for beginners?

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Thu May 30, 2013 10:12 pm

Talk to your instructor a bit about the kite your practicing on and what to look for, you may be able to get something near that price but years newer. $800 for a five year old kite seems absurd to me though.

Ron
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Ron » Thu May 30, 2013 10:19 pm

kinda expensive even though it's complete.The kite is 5/6 yrs old so pretty much worthless plus you wanna make sure the lines are way newer than 08. The Rebel is an amazing kite and you will love it, great all-around kite with a lot of depower and the safety of the 5th line, somthg u csan grow with and use in over head waves down the road! I had a full quiver of them a few yrs ago.

Jamo04AT
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jamo04AT » Thu May 30, 2013 10:22 pm

It is an 08 but its brand new in box, lines, harness, kite, etc. Just wanted to clarify that the stuff is not used, but has been sitting since 08 in storage. Thanks everyone for responses

stompdit
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by stompdit » Fri May 31, 2013 2:45 am

don't buy it man. Take your lesson, and see what they have to say, if you can't afford the new gear the shop recommends, ask for used/demo gear they may have. Also there are good deals on the buy/sell section of this forum if you can find what you need. 12m is defiantly too big for your only kite at sherman, but will get you started at safer bay area locations.

Also, down the line. living on the delta with a jet ski and being a kiter could be a lot of fun. lots to explore. good luck.

troybo13
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by troybo13 » Fri May 31, 2013 9:03 am

Welcome to the Kite Brotherhood.
My biggest caveats to beginners;
1. Lessons essential unless you really like being frustrated and being a danger to yourself and others.
2. Understand that it does not really get fun until you have about 30 sessions under your belt. You have to have patience and pay the dues. Kiting is experienced-based but solid instruction foundation puts your head in the right place.
3. Prepare for a new addiction.
4. Everyone has an opinion on gear. Don't take the cheapest way, but it is a good idea to get used demo gear because you are going to thrash it during the learning process.
My opinion obviously.

Best of luck!
Moved from Hilton Head Island, SC to Bay Area
Slingshot Asylum 138
SS RPM 12m, 10m, 8m

Jamo04AT
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jamo04AT » Fri May 31, 2013 9:07 am

Thanks for all the info guys!