Trainer Kite Questions

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
nick_80044
Regular
Regular
Re: Trainer Kite Questions

Post by nick_80044 » Tue May 21, 2013 12:32 pm

When I started out I got ambitious and bought one of the better and more expensive training kites (Ozone 3m--$300). My thinking was a larger training kite would get me closer to the actually experience of the regular kites. I spent the suggested two weeks or so before my first lesson practicing. I ended up concluding that it was of limited value.

On the plus side, you do learn concepts like "this is how I steer the kite." But the power differential was so great when I finally got to the 12m kite that I got dragged around at will and pretty much had to learn to control it from scratch. I liken in to learning to play baseball by practicing with a wiffle ball and plastic bat. Sure, you can learn intellectual concepts like the ball will come at you and you have to swing the bat. But there's a lot of "feel" involved, and timing, and muscle memory, and those are going to be completely different with a heavier wooden baseball bat and a cork-and-leather baseball.

The trainer kite was stolen but I ended up buying an older, cheap but flyable 5m inflatable kite that I use with friends when they show an interest in kiting. This has the advantage of having an actual depower system, too.

g00mbs
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by g00mbs » Tue May 21, 2013 12:41 pm

I really appreciate everyones input. Well... hopefully I can pick one up today and get started with my wife :)

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Tue May 21, 2013 2:58 pm

its a good investment. lots of people who take lessons don't end up kiting anyways. what's the percentage RV?
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

MehYam
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by MehYam » Tue May 21, 2013 4:34 pm

Wha....?? I learned years ago on the cheapest 1m trainer kite that was available at the time. I flew it until I was able to with my eyes closed. It's more than just steering that you pick up, it's a sense for how to keep the kite in the air when you hit a lull, and an instinct (and fear) for how it will explode through the power zone of the window.

Someone with experience claiming that this isn't a worthwhile teaching tool is kinda shocking. Any two-line trainer kite pays for itself repeatedly, every time a beginner avoids smacking their first real one into the water LE first. A shitty trainer kite teaches you that suprisingly well. And then there's the crucial kite control/awareness you need during launching/landing...

rvv
Regular
Regular

Post by rvv » Tue May 21, 2013 5:56 pm

Okay let's try this again. I never said trainer kites are hurtful or not worthwhile...to the contrary. They are useful to teach basic steering and wind window theory or introduce the sport. This is why we sell them and always suggest a small trainer as traction is not necessary for this. Larger trainers are for land kiting and not necessary for learning.

What I did say is, if you read it again, is that is is not necessary to learn to fly a 4 line kite by first starting with a trainer. One can safely bypass this step and learn to pilot a small 4 line kite from the get go. If money is a consideration, then forget the trainer and spend it instead on a private lesson where you will get all the 4 line kite time you can handle vs a group lesson. You always get more kite time in a private lesson that is just obvious. Then get your gear and start practicing on your own. Just a thought not trying to reinvent the wheel only make it faster and safer.
Royce V
KGBswag

Tunces
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Tunces » Wed May 22, 2013 12:26 pm

So I have to ask a question....It seems like every time Royce makes a post it contains something controversial, and then he gets hammered by everyone - sometimes quite venomously. The question is this: Is Royce trying to get under everyone’s skin and raise attention doing so, or is he just an idiot who looks at life differently than other normal human beings?
Tunces - The driving cat!

rvv
Regular
Regular

Post by rvv » Wed May 22, 2013 12:49 pm

Tunces wrote:So I have to ask a question....It seems like every time Royce makes a post it contains something controversial, and then he gets hammered by everyone - sometimes quite venomously. The question is this: Is Royce trying to get under everyone’s skin and raise attention doing so, or is he just an idiot who looks at life differently than other normal human beings?
Look at this differently \.I..
Royce V
KGBswag

Tunces
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Tunces » Wed May 22, 2013 1:33 pm

Easy now, I'm just posing a question after observing an undeniable pattern over the years, not passing any judgement. However it would appear you answered my question, inadvertent as it may have been....
Tunces - The driving cat!

rvv
Regular
Regular

Post by rvv » Wed May 22, 2013 3:25 pm

Tunces wrote:Easy now, I'm just posing a question after observing an undeniable pattern over the years, not passing any judgement. However it would appear you answered my question, inadvertent as it may have been....
Passive aggressive BS! You implied I am an idiot via a well worded question. Shut up please, you are the aggressor here!!
Royce V
KGBswag

Ron
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Ron » Wed May 22, 2013 3:41 pm

Passive aggressive BS! You implied I am an idiot via a well worded question. Shut up please, you are the aggressor here!!
+1

Popcorn please