Gear Suggestions

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Wed May 15, 2013 5:39 pm

kandrey89,

you posted about not buying old or used gear but this might be the correct way to get the equipment you need AND the instructions you need.

If you take into account that nearly any new kite will run you $1000+ and there is a plethora of very well taken care of used kites for $500-600 out there, you've got more than enough left over to spend on lessons. Trust me when I say that your 2 year old used kite will be in far better shape after a month with some well spent remaining money on initial guidance, than a brand new kite and nothing left over to make those big mistakes on your instructor's kites.

My initial learning kite is actually in pretty good shape despite being from 2008, and once I was confident that most of my crashing days were over, I picked up some gently used F-one bandits at $1200 for and entire 7-9-12 quiver.

My final two cents: you've got a trainer so use it till you're bored, then take at least four hours of lessons, hunt the classifieds for a used kite and bring one of your kitesurfing friends to inspect it over for any problems, get stoked from day one instead of frustrated, hurt or angry that some "asshole" deflated your kite instead of launching you. When I showed up at Alameda the first day, they could smell my newness and was instantly quizzed on some general knowledge from my lessons, then they launched me and I had the time of my life even just body dragging about in the bay.