Gear Suggestions

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
kandrey89
Gear Suggestions

Post by kandrey89 » Sun May 12, 2013 3:56 pm

Hi, I'm new to kitesurfing but not power kites.

Let's get this out of the way, please don't suggest for me to go take some classes and wipe my snot off my face. That's not what I'm asking you for and you will only make me hate you for sounding like a salesman. I have friends who kitesurf and that's the end of that.

Now onwards with the gear.

Style: freeride, jumping (hangtime), and a little bit of non-competitive racing (I like to go fast if it's safe). I will most likely stay away from riding waves as a novice. I don't want to do any tricks or be a show off, there are too many other things I could be doing instead of injuring myself and doing none at all.

I go to UC Santa Cruz, but I am around in the bay area during the weekends, I have a car, so Alameda is most likely my destination choice at least while I'm still a novice.

I'm 6' 5" @ 175lbs and have some lower back pain occasionally.

I have limited funds but I'm willing to pay for quality, comfort and safety over quantity and rags. That most likely means that I will buy only 1 new kite this season along with other required equipment.
Kite: (I've been suggested 12m and that's what I'm leaning towards from reading some forums.)
Naish Draft (1st choice so far)
Ozone Edge or Catalyst
F-One Bandit 6?
North Rebel or Fuse (but I read Fuse might have issues with bladder air retention)
I decided against Cabrinha because they appear to be expensive and I'm not impressed.

I would like good kite depower so I'll have less chances for an accident.

Board: (I have no clue what the differences between the boards are even after looking at many of them)
Please recommend a board based on technical characteristics not looks.
I'm guessing that I'd need a 141-144cm board.

Harness:
I'm planning to try some on in the local shops, because I know that a body around the waist and hips is very different between people, so I want a good fit.
What I'm not sure about is whether I should get a seat harness (supposedly better for my back pain) or a waist harness.

Wet suite:
I have a wet suite from body boarding, 4/3mm.
I also have 2mm socks.
I don't have a hood, but I'm not sure that I'll need one, do I?

Thank you
Last edited by kandrey89 on Sun May 12, 2013 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ron
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Gear Suggestions

Post by Ron » Sun May 12, 2013 4:58 pm

you have an interesting way to ask for recommendations...

kandrey89

Post by kandrey89 » Sun May 12, 2013 5:08 pm

Recommend the gear, not what I should do. I see a lot of people on different forums making sales pitches about kiteboarding classes, so I just wanted to make it clear that it's not what I'm asking for help with.

TomAUSTRIA
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by TomAUSTRIA » Sun May 12, 2013 6:33 pm

This could get interesting. Let me get some pop corn...

tgautier
Regular
Regular

Post by tgautier » Sun May 12, 2013 6:40 pm

I wonder why no one has given out advice yet. Pass the popcorn please...

Last edited by tgautier on Sun May 12, 2013 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ozchrisb
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by ozchrisb » Sun May 12, 2013 6:57 pm

wjb
Resident
Resident

Post by wjb » Sun May 12, 2013 7:07 pm

Haha is this post for real. I am going to assume troll but hey am bored tonight so if you are for real here is my recommendations. Lose the chip on your shoulder. You don't know enough to not be impressed with Cabrinha. Ask your "kiteboarding friends" for recommendations on equipment or just buy something in a pretty color. You are smart about one thing however. Yes, stay away from the coast.
It is obvious that we can no more explain a passion to a person who has never experienced it than we can explain light to the blind. T.S.Eliot

Rob
Regular
Regular

Post by Rob » Sun May 12, 2013 7:47 pm

I recommend checking your approach and then sign yourself up for zoomba classes.

kandrey89

Post by kandrey89 » Sun May 12, 2013 10:19 pm

wjb wrote:You don't know enough to not be impressed with Cabrinha. Ask your "kiteboarding friends" for recommendations on equipment or just buy something in a pretty color.
No I don't, so why don't you tell me, that's why I mentioned it.
I already asked them and they were quite helpful, now I'm asking for other people's opinions. But apparently this forum isn't for Beginners, it's for trolls with brain damage. Maybe you should take some classes for that! :violin:

Rob
Regular
Regular

Post by Rob » Sun May 12, 2013 10:25 pm

I'll be sure to be on the look out for you in alameda