Gear Suggestions

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
kandrey89
Contributor
Contributor
Re: Gear Suggestions

Post by kandrey89 » Tue May 14, 2013 9:14 pm

Can someone shed some light on the differences, pros and cons between above the bar and below the bar system?

http://naishkites.shptron.com/p/2013-un ... ecommended

vs

http://naishkites.shptron.com/p/2013-at ... ecommended

Above the bar looks more appealing but I've head people complaining about their knuckles being beat up by the flailing plastic handle when they ride depowered.

tgautier
Regular
Regular

Post by tgautier » Tue May 14, 2013 9:24 pm

Aside from all the reasons everyone is telling you to get lessons and why - WHICH ARE ABSOLUTELY TRUE - consider this.

You will SAVE money taking lessons. You are assuming that by skipping that part you are gonna get away with kiting on the cheap.

You're getting into the wrong sport if that is your attitude.

Kiting ain't cheap. But neither is any other gear sport.

The difference here is if you don't get lessons you're going to spend your money on broken gear and trying to replace it and hospital bills.

Your post implies that you think somehow you'll be the one dude who makes it through unscathed on his own without any professional instruction. Are there guys out there like that? Sure. The odds are highly stacked against you being one of them, no matter what your personal opinion is of yourself. As someone already said, a little humility will go a long way in your case.

Humility in regards to the people on this forum, humility in regards to the kiteboarding community at large, humility towards the innocent people's well being you are putting at risk, and humility towards nature.

Kites and kite gear are expensive. We all get that. We've all been through it. You asked for our advice. You got it. The best way to figure out what kind of gear you want and need is to take lessons and take the advice of the instructors. We all know every one of the instructors in this area. Not a single one of them is out to rip you off. Quite the contrary. If you treat them right they will hook you up. And so will everyone else on this forum.

Key to that is - treat others with respect and humility. Not a raging bull in a china shop.

One of the key aspects of the kiting community is we help each other out no questions asked. On the water on the beach and in our personal lives. If you can't see that or understand that or live that that's fine. There are plenty of other communities and sports out there for you.

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Wed May 15, 2013 2:24 am

kandrey89 wrote:Ughmm, you heard what you wanted to hear.
I never said anything about 3rd avenue or going off half cocked ](*,) .
Well, if it was just me, then maybe, now that most folks heard this too, then maybe it's the way you wrote it.
Anyway, that's not the issue here.
Like tgautier above, we're just trying to help, even if it's not the answer you want to hear.
Like somebody mentioned, KGB school has coupons going now and then (on living social or groupon, I can't remember) for I think 1/2 price lessons.
Most of the schools are also shops and they will apply a fair discount towards the gear if you take the lessons from them and buy gear from them, so it's kind of like if you were putting money towards gear by taking lessons.
So in the long run, you are saving money by taking lessons. :wink:
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Wed May 15, 2013 12:16 pm

I got into this sport with no equipment or experience, and managed to practice on a cheap used trainer with a bar I built, took lessons, got a twin-tip, wetsuit, impact equipment, built a small quiver of a 9m + 12m and started getting out in the water for under $1000 almost SOLEY on the advice of people here on BAK.

I've prevented at least one kitemare situation, and likely several trips to have Sonny repair my kite because I reacted in a way that was taught to me and practiced in my lessons (chicken loop accidentally disconnecting and going full power). I was in a very similar mindset and financial situation as you coming into this sport, and even purchased my first real kite previous to taking lessons, thinking my 40 hours playing with a big 3m trainer and big brain would fill in the gaps. Thankfully I gritted my teeth and kept that kite stored away until my lessons day because I took everyone's advice here. When the lessons came, I might as well have been flying a 747 jet and my instructor was the only thing keeping me from crashing into the mountain (or more literally, a rock wall). I learned more in two minutes, with the instructor saying little more than "sheet out" or "turn hard left", than watching the full progression beginner video, reading every article I could find on the wind window and devoting every afternoon to flying my trainer kite at OB. This sport is as brutally complex as the weather that drives it, and I truly hope you take our advice and get a few hours of lessons. If you choose not to, good luck and at the minimum PLEASE remember that your choice to live on the daring side can very quickly endanger any lives downwind and to each side of the wind window. A 500 foot downwind buffer to that family picnicking on the beach can disappear real quick with a fully-powered kite, just look up some kite loop videos and you'll see why.

My personal favorite "oh shit" video was this: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GjrFW_yXCzY

Our season is long and our lives are far longer, the wind will still be there if you have to save up a few hundred bucks before getting into the greatest sport ever invented.

ramsey
Resident
Resident

Post by ramsey » Wed May 15, 2013 1:32 pm

Wow! I've gotta chime in on this one.

First Kandrey, you know absolutely nothing. Kite for 10yrs and come back to me. Come into this sport with a humble attitude and you will go far. I've seen countless people who have kited for years that still don't even know how to control the damn thing. PhD's and high level degrees included.

As for your question about gear, it doesn't matter what you get as long as its post 2006. Again, you know nothing and you will learn with what you've got. These days kites marketed for beginners (ie: easy relaunch, high depower, etc.) from one of the main brands will work for you. I've got an 11m SB that I'd be glad to let go cheap, and I'm sure many other people here have great gear to help a newbie out.

ATB or BTB......ATB actually depowers the kite, BTB really only changes the throw of the bar. Again, this doesn't matter for you. You are not good enough yet for it to matter. If you are going out on a modern kite where you feel the need to depower maybe you should land it and spectate.

The lesson is not a sales pitch. Its insurance that you need to pay to get into the sport. Not only does it minimize the risk of hospital bills for you and others, but it will likely save your kite from its inevitable demise at sea or on the rocks.

All that being said, whatever you do make sure someone teaches how to work the safety system on your specific gear. Also, what to do when the wind picks up or dies suddenly and you are in an "oh-shit" situation.

Embrace the community here in the bay area and we will enable you to maximize your fun and unleash your full kite potential. Trust me, because over the last 10years I have.

kandrey89
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kandrey89 » Wed May 15, 2013 3:01 pm

Thank you jwest21 and ramsey.

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Wed May 15, 2013 3:05 pm

kandrey89 wrote:Thank you jwest21 and ramsey.
Does this means you are thinking about finally getting lessons? :wink:

kandrey89
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kandrey89 » Wed May 15, 2013 3:19 pm

le noun wrote:
That means their response was more helpful than the banter of individuals screaming "go take some lessons".

)))

wjb
Resident
Resident

Post by wjb » Wed May 15, 2013 3:29 pm

Fuck this kiting bullshit It's for pussies. I have some "friends" that will teach you how to base jump for free :mrgreen:
It is obvious that we can no more explain a passion to a person who has never experienced it than we can explain light to the blind. T.S.Eliot

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Wed May 15, 2013 4:39 pm

kandrey89 wrote:
le noun wrote:
That means their response was more helpful than the banter of individuals screaming "go take some lessons".

)))
well, as long as you do it we're all happy. Cheers and welcome. SS$$