Jib, jab, gybe

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member
Jib, jab, gybe

Post by jwest21 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:11 pm

I'd love to get some veteran pointers for how to execute a flawless gybe (jibe).

So far, I've learned that if you're riding strapped, keep everything ultra-loose and to practice on land first.

Practice on land by taking off your fins and going through the steps over and over until it's muscle memory.

General steps seem to be: remove back foot and place in front of the strap, then slide that foot to directly behind the front strap and a little bit toward your toe edge. As you remove your front foot, you rotate toward the nose, bring the front foot back to rest against the rear strap and your new front foot pivots and slides right into place. Then put your new back foot in.

I'm looking for some clarification of how I set this all up and when I should be initiating the fancy foot-work. Is it post-transition to my toe edge and already regained my speed and holding an edge? Or is it easier mid-transition while I'm pointed downwind and flat-based?

I've had three days now of attempts, with maybe two-three dozen tries. I know a lot of it is just a numbers game and I'm certainly getting closer to sticking one.

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Re: Jib, jab, gybe

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:27 pm

You may want to just take your staps off, makes it easier.

I ride regular, when i am going right I do my "fancy" footwork then make the turn. When i am headed left I make the turn and then do my footwork.

With straps the key that helped me was the "pivot". Position the foot that will be going into the front strap to the side of the strap, but close enough that when you move your back foot back all you have to do is a small pivot, or rotation, of your ankle to slide into the front strap... then put your backfoot in.

Watch this video, notice how he pivots his feet in and out of the front straps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0dcQhXsvsg

ALSO: Don't let the windsurfers see you "practicing" on the beach...
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:11 pm

I've got a 5'6" mako and a 6'6" old surfboard. Should I shoot for trying it out strapless on the surfboard? Seems like the extra float could come in mighty handy for leaning this.

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:13 pm

Yea, try the surfboard strapless somewhere you are comfortable kiting/dragging at. Once you get the idea you can try it with straps (although once they come off they usually stay off).

It takes a little bit of time but you should have a breakthough session where everything comes together.
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:54 pm

I can almost smell the breakthrough… but that might just be the smell of breaking through the top deck of a fiberglass surfboard.

CdoG
Old School
Old School

Post by CdoG » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:37 pm

Seems to me you can switch before during or after...
Like norCal I like to switch before on my strong side the sit into my turn
and after on my weak side
The real deal is what you do with the kite
I like to switch my feet on a upstroke so the kite holds me up some
I used to watch zev bring his kite low to the water then pivit it and let it pull him into the turn
Bruce is another good guy to watch
if you try to follow the kite you stall out
You got to let the kite drag you thought the turn
the foot work well come
Good luck and keep trying

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:56 pm

When I was learning a buddy gave me two tips. He swore they were the secret. He was right. So here they are:

1. Don't look at your feet. PERIOD! You will over think things, lose your balance, and fall.

...and here is the trick, ti's a two step move... (and yes, get your feet a little lose in the straps) The following explanation is infinitely more complex than the actual move.

2. 'find your toes' - simply put your back foot toes up touching your front foot toes. This works with straps and strapless - either way, just do it in one smooth move. Then, in one more single movement, take your old front foot, and as you rotate your body around, place it on the tail of the board. No dancing or shuffling. Just pick it up and stomp it down. If you have straps, your front foot will be able to just slide into the strap since you put your toes right where your other toes were. When you move what is now your back foot, put it in front of the rear strap and get settled in to your new reach. You can move it into the rear strap once you are riding comfortably in the new direction. If you are strapless, just stomp it and ride away!

Whatever you do, DON'T LOOK AT YOUR FEET. It seems weird to not look down, but tis is the most important thing.

All the other details are just that...once you are confident moving your feet without looking it's on.

I still miss a few gybes but once you get it down, riding is so much more fluid and fun.

Ayer Nakite
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ayer Nakite » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:32 pm

In my second day strapless! What a freedom! Micro board trim, Been putting my feet in places uncomfortable in straps, yet able to get better performance, board feel, smiles! Take off the training wheels and be free. Way easier than you think. Cheeks hurting from big grins. Steady thermals, SB to Ventura, late show.

Ayer Nakite
SB Harbor

amir
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by amir » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:25 pm

Definitely learn strapless and return to straps for major boosting. And I totally agree...don't look at your feet, feel it.

buckidge
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by buckidge » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:58 pm

JWest- I've been learning since March with my second big breakthrough day coming on Saturday. First breakthrough day was when I first hit one, pretty early on. It felt as good as the first day going up wind. Then, last Saturday at 3rd was a day dedicated to jibe practicing jibing, where I really got the feel of it and was able to do it by feel and hit >50% of them.

So two things on how to learn: Go out for a day and don't expect to do anything but jibe. Make your way a long ways upwind and then practice over and over and over again. I must have practiced 75+ times on Saturday. Every other time out I just tried another few jibes here and there, and didn't really get it.

SO with the learning experience fresh in my head, I'm going strapped (or half-strapped [front only] but that's for a different thread) and I think there were a few things that I started to feel when it went right.
1- before your turn, pull front foot part way out of front strap and position it less perpendicular to the board
2- following the turn, (riding toeside now), head downwind a touch. Keep kite high and don't carry too much speed, but don't start plowing through the water slowly either.
3- bring your back foot up to mirror the (former) front foot. At this point you're going pigeon toed
4- bring your new rear foot backwards. not too far as your probably not carrying too much speed so you want your weight kinda forward. at this point my new front foot is barely in the strap, almost parallel with the rail
5- now its time to power your kite back up, ride back upwind, and wiggle your feet back into position at the same time.

Mistakes I (think) I made along my (still going) learning curve:
*original front foot too far into straps
*trying too early to get new front foot into strap
*not waiting for the ride speed/power combination following aiming the kite slightly downwind
*not REALLY practicing or simply half-ass practicing

As for going strapless, I'm sure it's easier, but I choose not to head that direction in that more wave riding is a goal and I'm pretty sure I really want that strap is a lifesaver when heading over breaking waves.

To the experienced folks: is any of this a bad habit that I should be ditching/not sharing?
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are built for"