confused about first Kiting gear to get.

This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid.
Forum rules
This forum is for new kiters/beginners to share info and experiences and to get answers to kiting questions. All questions are valid. Please provide proper answers (no sarcasm/joke replies, etc.) as we'd like to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident
Re: confused about first Kiting gear to get.

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:13 pm

If i were learning again I would buy two 2011/2012 used RRD Obsesssions 9m/12m (for the record I don't like the obsesssions but think they have amazing value for a beginner)

Check w/ Live2Kite, ask Gerrit (shop rider), he sells his new gear at the end of every season for a great deal... in great condition also. You will notice that the most "popular/frequent" kite in the Bay Area is the obsession, mainly because Live2Kite pushes them for a deal... and they are user friendly.

Not sure what the rules are for "plugging" brands, sorry if i disgruntled anyone &&&
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

ianwallace14
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ianwallace14 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:00 pm

IMHO, go buy this 12 meter kite:

https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/for ... ad_id=1261

I have a Rebel. It's a great beginner kite and this is a screaming deal, I wish I had paid less than 1k...
(No this is not my listing...)

While you are at Sherman picking the kite up, do a downwinder with Sandy. You will progress to riding upwind after one or two of these trips. (Sandy teaches using North Rebels.)

If you are going to primarily surf go Caution as suggested. That is what I fly. If you are going to twin tip different deal. But don't pay $2k per kite, that is nuts.

cleepa
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by cleepa » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:07 am

Agree with the last two posts! Rebels and in particular the Obsessions are popular kites, so you will easily find them used. They are also good solid kites that are suitable for beginner through expert - the kite will wear out way before you outgrow it.