Packing for a ventana kiting trip

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
tomerp
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Packing for a ventana kiting trip

Post by tomerp » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:15 pm

heading to la ventana end of november... any tips on packing? lets start a discussion, maybe build a checklist for trips like that for future travelers...

1. how many kites do you usually bring? sizes? i think of bringing a 9m and two 12m...
2. board?
3. any packing tips - suitcase, etc.
4. what special or important items do you bring
5. some things to do when there that you think should not be missed...

etc.

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Re: Packing for a ventana kiting trip

Post by WindMuch » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:47 pm

Hi,

I'm certainly no expert, but I did go to La Ventana twice last season. That plus I'm currently packing to head down there this Thursday morning. I'll be there thru December 1st. Email me (kirk@lansharks.net) if you'd like to try to say howdy when you're in town.

Packing wise, I've flown everything from a 12 to a 7.5. I travel with my twin-tip and borrow a directional when I'm down there. There can be (smallish) waves to ride, so if you're wave-inclined, it's nice to bring (or have access to) a surfboard.

This year I'm bringing my 6, 8 and 10M Slingshot Rally's and two bars. You could probably get away with a 12 and a 9 but it can certainly get windier than an 8/9 sometimes.

In addition to a harness and impact vest, I bring a rash guard, spring suit and a thin, holey 2/3mm full suit. When I was there last year in late October, the water was in the high 70's and you could ride in trunks and a rash guard. When I went back in January, the water was somewhat cooler and I used my spring suit every day and the full suit once or twice. Having some short booties can be nice, depending on the bottom conditions at the beach where you're launching/landing. Most places are pretty sandy. I'd try to arrange use of a kite pump, so you don't have to pack one.

If your kites are old and you plan to be down there a while, you might consider bringing extra parts/lines/bladders, etc. I know there's a little kite shop at Baja Joe's and probably elsewhere. I'm not sure how easy it would be to find obscure parts.

In terms of what else to bring, I guess it depends a bit on your accommodations. I camp with Nat from Edge Kiteboarding, so it's kind of tenty and sleeping baggy living. Evenings are cool.

Sunscreen, hat(s), camera, webbing straps, towel. Stuff like that...

You can get just about everything in La Paz (45 minutes away), but I usually do a Trader Joe's run to grab a few items you can't get down there - Cliff Bars, Beef Jerky, stuff like that.

Rumor has it that the ATM at the gas station near La Ventana is often out of pesos. I change money in La Paz.

Maybe we'll cross paths (on or off the water) while we're down there.

Travel safely and have a great time!

Kirk out

tomerp
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by tomerp » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:51 pm

thanks much, kirk. ok Ive modified my lists somewhat thanks to your post. Ill be in touch... :)

stewart
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by stewart » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:53 am

Tom,

When are you heading down in Nov?

I'm flying in Nov 28 and out Dec 3

tomerp
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by tomerp » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:56 am

hey there. Im getting in Nov 26 and out Dec 3
staying in palapas ventana.

one of the biggest issues is getting there from SJD. i plan to rent a car but the prices for cars went up. I am open to suggestions/carpooling/etc.

stewart
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by stewart » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:33 pm

I got a name a while back of someone who gives rides. I'll have to look it tomorrow on my work computer. If I remember right he was asking $150.00 one way. I need to double check.

You could also contact Tim @ Palapa's and see if he can arrange a ride.

I am looking into is as well. If I can get a ride I would be willing to carpool/share a ride on Dec 3. I will be staying down at Ventana Windsports.

stewart
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by stewart » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:10 am

I got this guys name from Esteban @ Ventana Windsports. He said he is reliable and one of the best prices.

Octavio, turispancho@aol.com

I emailed Octavio and got this response:

"the price from cabo airport to la ventana is $ 130 dollares one way or $ 240 round trip, from 1 to 4 people. more than 4 is 10 dollares extra.
Please let me know."

Octavio
Last edited by stewart on Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:47 pm

Not Ventana specific: I use compression bags that you can get in walmart and other stores (travel section) to shrink down the kites. You can use the pump in suction mode to get the air out and shrink it really small.
You will not believe how small a kite gets in vacuum. Easily fits in a suitcase, a shrinked 9 can fit in a carry on. Those bags have a problem with sand and they do get holes, so take a spare for the way back.

tomerp
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by tomerp » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:51 pm

thanks for all the advice. so an update on this: Overall i had an awesome trip staying at Palapas Ventana and kited 5 days. Did 3 4 mile downwinders which are provided by Palapas Ventana included in the accomodations....

This is what ended up happening as far as packing:

i ended up bringing two 12 meter kites and one 9 meter....

got to use the 12 meter 3 days and the 9 meter 2 days.... i guess i was somewhat over powered. most people in LV fly 10 or 11 at most.

because i did not use a golf bag I had to pay for the board transport $120 (suckkker:) )

i carried one kite as a carry on, laptop as a personal item and checked in:

- The board (1 bag with wetsuit and all cloths)
- The other 2 kites, helmet, harness, 3 bars, booties, pump, leash, pump hose and spare, in a second bag

in retrospect bringing a pump is a total waste because the resort (palapas ventana) had pumps and even a scuba tank to inflate from.

so in the future:
will use a golf bag for board maybe (if i know it works)
will not bring a pump most likely
will bring a 12 10 and 9 kites.

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:11 pm

I think it's a bit of a crap shoot as to whether they charge you for certain bags or not. Some counter people seem to care more than others about charging extra for large/oversize or surfboard-y shaped bags.

When I flew to La Ventana in November, my flights were from SFO to LA and then on to La Paz. The flight from SFO to LA was on American and from LA to La Paz was with Horizon.

When I checked my bags with American in SFO, I was with a buddy and we had two personal/clothing bags and two kiting bags. One was a golf bag and the other a Mystic two-board twin-tip bag. When we walked up to the counter, the woman looked at our kite bags and said "What do we have here, some surf boards?"

As I put my golf bag on the scale, I replied "This one says 'Pro Golf' on it." No un-truth there, right? Plus, I did put a 9-Iron inside, just in case anyone wanted to check!

"OK, no problem and that one?" (pointing to the twin-tip bag)
"That one has some parachutes inside." I said. Heck, kites look (and act) pretty much like parachutes, right? And since there isn't a 'board' component to parachuting, I figured it was a safe thing to say, given their tendency to charge for anything 'boardy'.
"OK, great." she said.

She didn't charge us for ANY of our bags as she said "the computer doesn't seem to think I need to collect anything for your bags since your connecting flight is with Horizon." I didn't argue!

I think it really shows it's a bit about luck, who you're dealing with and how you 'phrase' things...

Happy travels,

Kirk out