headed to la ventana for 2-3 weeks... where to stay?

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
blueocean
Contributor
Contributor
headed to la ventana for 2-3 weeks... where to stay?

Post by blueocean » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:46 pm

Im a local 3rd ave kiter and my kiter gf and I want to head south for a windy winter adventure!
We think La ventana is the way to go...
Does anyone have a good reccomendation for places to stay If we want to stay for 2 - 3 weeks from mid January to Mid February... Anyone interested in sharing a house...? Where could we even find one to rent???
Thanks for the advice.
-Ethan

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Re: headed to la ventana for 2-3 weeks... where to stay?

Post by OliverG » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:08 pm

Try to find a house, staying at any of the other spots (casa verde, kirks, joe's, etc,.) would get expensive and you have reduced amenities and privacy compared to your own place. I have great luck with places domestic and abroad on www.vrbo.com

perukite
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: headed to la ventana for 2-3 weeks... where to stay?

Post by perukite » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:05 pm

My wife and I went two December's ago and stayed at the Casita Blanca, offered ny Mokie's.

Think it is a couple from the Gorge who own the house and rent it out during the season. It was a good option for a couple or for two couples if you want your own place to stay away from the Mayhem down near the campground and La Ventana. It's up past El Sargento near the hot springs launch which people use for long downwinders. You can rig and launch right from the beach at this house if you want. There is nothing else going on up here, very tranquil. We just woke up and chilled most days until the wind line filled in, kited, kited, kited - nap in the hammock in-between sessions and read books or watched the killer selection of VHS movies they have (Charlie Shean in Navy SEALS!). then sunset was bomber margaritas and some cooking before sleeping at 8pm.

Thought the price was reasonable considering we bought our own groveries and cooked most days. If you are craving social interaction, you cna just drive down to La Ventana for that. But you will need a car if you stay up here.

I'd highly reccomend it. Here is their website: Payment Schedule and Cancellation Charges*

http://www.mokies.com/Accommodations.html

We got skunked quite a few days there, so it's nice to have a car so you can go exploring.