Anyone up for Costa Rica/Bahia Salinas over Xmas?

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin
Anyone up for Costa Rica/Bahia Salinas over Xmas?

Post by jjm » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:27 pm

My wife and I are looking to take a trip over Xmas, and thinking about going back to Bahia Salinas, Costa Rica.

It would be fun to go with a group of people and rent out one of the houses on the beach.

Anyone interested?

baypirate
Regular
Regular

Re: Anyone up for Costa Rica/Bahia Salinas over Xmas?

Post by baypirate » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:29 am

Costa Rica, like Maui, seems one of those places that could be great for a non-kiting spouse too. Just wondering about access (away) from Bahia Salinas, it's a small country but (some) roads are not that great. Did you guys do some non-kiting stuff too the previous time(s) you were there?

Didn't kite CR - didn't know kiting existed then... - but loved the place, can't go wrong place with all that diversity!

Kaffwynn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kaffwynn » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:54 am

We went in December of 2008 before I kited. We spent a week in Bahia Salinas, and then took another week inland towards Arenal (cloud forest).

Bahia Salinas is pretty isolated. There's not much around unless you have a car to drive and explore. However, as a non kiter, I thoroughly enjoyed our week there. The house we stayed in had a nice patio and pool that was sheltered from the wind. I was able to relax and read in the sun without being cold, which was a huge plus for me. There was also a very nice community of kiters to hang out with, which was another bonus. There were other activities I could have done in the area, but I enjoyed the opportunity to kick back.

Inland towards Arenal there's a TON more to do (eco tours, repelling, hot springs, etc). We didn't check out the kiting on the lake, but people definitely do it. We liked the plethora of activities available around Arenal, but ultimately we were a bit overwhelmed by the touristy-ness of it, and would have preferred to spend more time on the beach at Bahia Salinas.

playacopal
Joey
Joey

Post by playacopal » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:38 am

Like the post said, theres lots to do if but you need to drive alittle from the kite spot.
We offer services like that and more.
contact me for more info.
Bob Selfridge
Cometa Copal Kitesurfing
Playa Copal, Bahia Salinas, Costa Rica
www.puro-viento.com
lguardbl@gmail.com

krongsak
Contributor
Contributor

Post by krongsak » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:04 am

I had to cancel trips to CR twice and would very much like to make it happen this year. My original plan was to rent a dirt bike in San Jose and travel CR backroads and eventually make it up to Bahia Salinas. Naturally I will be happy to trade the dirt bike for a kite or whatever can be organized with the group.

Keep me posted

krongsak
Contributor
Contributor

Post by krongsak » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:23 am

No news on this? I am still planning on going to Bahia salinas over the x-mas vacations, anybody else?

dz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dz » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:01 pm

Hi I'll be there just after thanksgiving, I'm doing 2 weeks Spanish immersion/volunteer w Pretoma, and then heading back to Bahia de Salinas. I can ask around if anyone's interested to trade for dirtbike, and point them to your post here.

Footage I shot there in Feb 2010:
http://vimeo.com/16505624[/video]
Free your mind and your azz will follow. GC

krongsak
Contributor
Contributor

Post by krongsak » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:17 pm

Thanks for your reply. I am flying into Liberia on December 25th for 10 days. I am planning on taking my kite with me and and enjoy Bahia Salinas, I haven't finalized accomodation or anything else but am thinking about splitting my time between BS and maybe some inland location for other activity.
Would love if you could put me in touch with some folks or recommend the ideal plan.

Thanks

stewart
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by stewart » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:47 pm

Talk to Bob @ cometa copal above. He has some great places to stay right there at Bahinas Salinas. We stayed there for 10 days last Feb. Awesome time. We got there on a "rare" drop in wind. So we kited first few days and when the wind died we headed inland and then south to some of the beaches.

One of the best rips we have been on. So much so, we are hoping to do a month trip there very soon.