Northeast Brazil VS La Ventana in December

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
marinkiter
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Northeast Brazil VS La Ventana in December

Post by marinkiter » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:59 pm

My understanding is that these are the two of the best places on the Western Hemisphere for wind during NorCal winter but does anyone have experience with both and can you tell me; which place has the most consistent wind? My primary aim is a kiting vacation in December so I would like to maximize my odds. Thanks!

Jon

funmilton
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by funmilton » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:23 pm

I have been to both. Two different kind if trips....
Decemeber is near end of Brazil season, towards beginning for Baja.
Brazil takes 30 hours to get to, the other 4 hours.
If you have the time go to Brazil for as long as you can as early as possible. You will have better chance of wind in my opnion.
Come down to La Ventana in mid January for the kite expo, great time and lots of Bay Area people.

mike
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Northeast Brazil VS La Ventana in December

Post by mike » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:55 pm

I've been to both and agree with funmilton - both great places in their own way, but Brazil hands down has the more consistent wind. "Season" is relative - even though it's near the end of Brazil's high season, you'll probably get wind 80-90% of days (probably more) in December, vs. 95-100% of days during the high season. The wind in La Ventana can be great but seems to be more cyclical - it'll be windy for several days, followed by several days of little to no wind.

Admittedly not scientific, but for what it's worth, here's my experience: in several weeks of total kiting in Brazil I've never been shutout on a day I wanted to kite - put it this way, my body gives out long before my desire to kite does. By comparison, I've been to La Ventana for two weeklong trips and have kited a total of one, that's (1) day...

Czech
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Czech » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:41 pm

Guys, take this from someone that has kited allot in both destinations. I love both places, so dont take this as if I am knockign one. I own a small lot in Barilles and a condo in Brazil and I wouldnt invest in either if I didnt think they are great places to return to. So here it goes; Mexico is great, very close and *easy* to do anything, people speak English, it’s safe, close and cheap, wind blows pretty good and the Sea of Cortez beaches are very nice. However, as Brazil does take longer to get to it provides many, many long beaches, different spots, flat water and waves and some of the world’s most consistent wind, period. The season does NOT end in December, the off months in Brazil are June and July, it nukes from September till March. Brazil is very scenic and adventurous, there are so many different places besides the touristy Combuco. I will be traveling up and down the coast of BR for the next six months, kiting as much as my body allows, so hit me up if you want some tips. To sum it up, if you want your ATM to work and if you want to speak English and if you want it easy and hastle free, then go to Mexico. However, if you want memories of a lifetime and you are up for some adventure then check out Brazil, some of my most epic sessions have been from BR. More about BR can be found on MaximRio.com

gnukid
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by gnukid » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:29 pm

This year will be different.

Czech
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Czech » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:32 pm

Different in what way??

kitet
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitet » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:29 pm

NE Brazil has super consistent wind with endless beaches and many lagoons with flat water. The best place I have been for kiting. BTW the season does not end in December.

super_monkey
Regular
Regular

Post by super_monkey » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:06 am

Haven't been to Mexico but what Martin says is spot on. Have you considered places in Africa, like Dakhla for example?

Czech
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Czech » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:21 pm

Lets talk more about brazil next friday at this special event!

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/6955/flyerhz.jpg