Headed to Tampa Bay Area for Labor Day

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
BryanMichaelMeyer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Headed to Tampa Bay Area for Labor Day

Post by BryanMichaelMeyer » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:34 am

Visiting a friend in Clear Water, Florida for 5 days around Labor Day weekend. Has anyone kited here this time of year? I spoke with someone who runs a school in the area and she said that people ride 15m's but this can change anytime with the wind picking up a little, she didn't seem very knowledgeable when I was asking her questions. Luckily it is no extra charge to check my kite on Southwest so I am thinking I may as well bring it. I also have access to a boat to take me to islands or wherever.

Any suggestions or people that I should connect with?

Thanks for the help,

Bryan

G-man
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Headed to Tampa Bay Area for Labor Day

Post by G-man » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:28 am

Bryan,

You should check out the FL Kiteboarding website.

http://www.fksa.org/index.php

They have a whole section dedicated to the Tampa area. There is a guy named RickI, (that is the letter "i" at the end). I'm not sure if he runs the site, but he posts on it a lot, and he was kind enough to answer a bunch of my questions when I went there last year. I would PM him if you have detailed questions.

The winds are frontal in FL, and I think usually better in the winter, so I don't know how lucky you will be with wind. Hey, they have a cable park down there...

http://www.cablewake.com/PARKS/Usa/McCo ... micks.html

I went to the one in Ft Myers when faced with no wind. Sooo much fun, and great for working on board skills.

Enjoy,
G

BryanMichaelMeyer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Headed to Tampa Bay Area for Labor Day

Post by BryanMichaelMeyer » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:27 pm

Thanks for all the help. I saw the cable park which I might just venture to.

Cheers,

Bryan