Anyone been to Aruba?

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
OliverG
Old School
Old School
Anyone been to Aruba?

Post by OliverG » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:24 pm

Has anyone been to Aruba? We've done all the research, it's windy at least 300 days a year 15-28 trades and plenty warm with beautiful water, and overall more affordable than Turks and Caicos, which was our other choice. One side of the island is a little gustier and offshore, waist deep and where they teach and ride, etc. The other side has Arashi and Boca Grande, which look like nice spots, with side-on wind and some spots with some surf.

Just checking if anyone has been there and has any tips, local info, or knowledge to add to what we've already learned to make the trip easier and more enjoyable. Thanks!

Dimitri:

michael
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Anyone been to Aruba?

Post by michael » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:32 pm

A tip for Aruba: definitely have a camera on your kite (with camrig) when you go to Boca Grandi. The water is crystal clear, and combined with the waves you will get amazing photos or video.

Jewels
Joey
Joey

Post by Jewels » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:34 am

Hi,

My daughter and I went there in August and kited 6 out of 7 days. She took lessons from Armando's right on the beach by the hotels. They begin about 9 or 10am. Nice waist high water, steady wind, a couple of shadow spots as you go behind the large hotels, similar set up to SPI. Two sessions a day, lull in the middle. I wanted someone local to instruct her. Very reasonable and one of the instructors took me to Boca Grandi and I had the time of my life. I'm intermediate. Great waves, local uncrowded bay with nice launch, helpful folks, etc. The instructors all go there. Across from the hotels is a smaller property where all of the windsurfers stay, fairly reasonable. We were on the other side, in the middle of the two spots. Locals friendly, great food, easy to get around. Been to Cabarate, Hawaii and St. Croix in August also, but probably so have you. Had a blast in Vietnam in October and it has been cooking. Waiting for Sherman to pick up again, meanwhile hitting the slopes. All the best in your travels-Jewels

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:10 am

Michael and Jewels,

Thanks for the tips and feedback, sounds great and we're stoked. We're just looking for the best lodging option something with a kitchen and we'll be all set!

xtremewinds
Contributor
Contributor

Post by xtremewinds » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:41 pm

Check www.xtremewinds.com , we can help you with accomodation and kite lessons around Aruba.

baypirate
Regular
Regular

Post by baypirate » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:05 pm

xtremewinds wrote:Check http://www.xtremewinds.com , we can help you with accomodation and kite lessons around Aruba.
Ollie, definitely consider the kite lessons! :lol:

Somewhat related, hope wind stats/archives more telling for Aruba than say, "neighboring" Barbados, which also looked like a sure bet for Jan and nevertheless got skunked 6 out 7 days...

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:38 am

Well, true, one could get skunked anywhere, but Barbados is actually pretty far from Aruba and Aruba does seem to get the most consistent wind. Check the map, although this morning's not a good example as Aruba, all the way lower left is reading 11 and barbados, all the way lower right is reading 19. Seems to often be the otherway around... in looking at the wind archives for April 09, Aruba seems to show better, but my luck would have it when I go, I would probably get one day of 11m kiting in a week...
Attachments
mapperv2.jpg

xtremewinds
Contributor
Contributor

Post by xtremewinds » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:21 pm

The best wind months in Aruba are June, july, August, December, January, February in this months you can ride 7 days per week, October and november you can kite 3 per week more less, and the other ones 5 days per week, obviously sometimes we have a week without wind but is very rare. You can check the wind guru archive, when you select a spot select Aruba because is the only one with archive, the island is small 30 kmts x 8 kmts, so is the same wind intensity in all the spots. www.xtremewinds.com

thelaserman
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by thelaserman » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:25 am

I have been to Aruba it's great. You can sta at the resorts or stay in the downtown near the port. If you are on a budget head to Bonaire Or curaçao instead. Both are cheaper and only 10 miles away and get the same
Wind but are less cimmerical

Posted with TouchBB on my iPhone

Fassn8
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Fassn8 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:48 am

I'm also considering a trip to Aruba this year. I'll be traveling with my wife and 2 year old daughter. Gonna try and get the wifey hooked on kiting:-)

Any info on "family friendly" stuff would be greatly appreciated.