Report: Maui in September

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
Olivier
Contributor
Contributor
Report: Maui in September

Post by Olivier » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:11 pm

I went to Maui beginning of September during one week. I thought I could give a quick travel report.

Condition in September:

Amazing. I was 7 days in Maui. I was able to kite during 6 days. The last day, I tried anyway but the wind was too weak even on my 12m. Perhaps with a surfboard it would have been doable.
People are switching between a 7m and 9m. I used a 9m during the whole week. Normally the waves are still weak in September. But I was lucky enough to get some waves during the last 3-4 days. Probably between 2m and 4m. Very nice. I am a complete beginner on waves and I had a blast because Kitebeach is very safe even with Waves.

BTW, thanks Sony to get my 9m fixed just before my trip!!

travel preparation

I used united airline. With United, no free bags (50$ to transport your 2 bags). Using a golf bag is even more expensive. Not to forget that a fake golf bag is around 150$. so, I found a lot more convenient to rent a board in Hawaii. the good thing with renting is that you can change board every day. I was able to switch between twin tips and a directional boards.

Shops in Maui

As expected, Tons of Windsurf/Surf/Kitesurf shops. Very easy to buy or fix equipments. Almost all brands are represented near kitebeach. Possibility to rent boards (20$ a day). Impossible to rent other kite equipments though. It is possible to demo gear in some shops (80$ a day, you will get the money back if you buy the equipment).

Kite spot

There are basically 2 spots. All the small beaches around kitebeach/Nashbeach and Lane. Lanes is very dangerous: Big waves and you need to walk on rocks to reach the ocean with the kites in the air (with gusty winds of course) and the waves pushing you.
There is a very nice downwind possible between Lanes and Kitebeach. It is sad that is so difficult to launch a kite at Lanes.

i was starting mostly from Nash beach. this is by far the easiest relaunch area. locals and pro are starting from other beaches around it but without wind (a bit like lower launch in 3rd avenue).

kitebeach/nashbeach is an amazing spot. Beautiful and safe. This is also the perfect spot to begin playing with waves as they break a few hundreds Meters from the coast. basically, you can switch from waves to flat water when you want. With Turtles everywhere around you.

I found locals very friendly. After 2-3 days, you know everybody on the beach (mostly tourist like me).

First time:

For me, it was my first:
Kitesurf trip
kitesurf in waves
kitesurf in warm waters without a wetsuit 4:3
sessions on a Surfboard
sessions without leach (Difficult to use a leach with a rental board). A bit tricky at first to spend 20 minutes to get back the board but after a couple of days, it is becoming a lot easier (Using my toes for example to keep the board in any situation).

Lodging:

Paia is the place to be. Nice restaurant and near all the interesting beaches. I was traveling alone, so the best in this situation is to get a B&B to meet people. I went to the "blue house". Very nice, a bit expensive compare to a condo but tons of windsurfers/kitesurfers there. I paid 125$ a day. I found some condo for 500-600$ a week.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Re: Report: Maui in September

Post by OliverG » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:22 am

I used united airline. With United, no free bags (50$ to transport your 2 bags). Using a golf bag is even more expensive. Not to forget that a fake golf bag is around 150$.
I've been less than impressed with United on my last several flights with them, both international. I'm never flying United again, for any reason, they truly suck.

vdeub
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by vdeub » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:02 pm

I thought Lane was near Hookipa, East of the airport. does that mean that to do this "downwinder" you cross the airport channel ? is nt it forbidden ?

Olivier
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Olivier » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:44 pm

there is a zone where you can't kite in front of the airport but you can avoid it going a little but farther from the coast.

I have not done the downwind myself (Lane was too scary) but I met lots of people that tried it.

/Olivier