suggestion for a kitesurf travel in september

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
Olivier
Contributor
Contributor
suggestion for a kitesurf travel in september

Post by Olivier » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:55 pm

Hello,

I am looking for idea/suggestion for a travel in September. I am looking for a place with good wind at this time of the year, not too expensive and lively (I will travel alone).

I am open to suggestion for good kite travel package as well.

Thanks,
Olivier.

Olivier
Contributor
Contributor

Re: suggestion for a kitesurf travel in september

Post by Olivier » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:15 am

After some googling, It seems that the caribean Islands are the cheapest option for nice kitesurfing (Puerto rico or Dominican republic).

I wonder if it is a good choice though because of the hurricane season... My trip will be the 5-13 september.

Thought?

mike
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by mike » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:55 am

I've never kited in the Caribbean but my understanding is that September is still hurricane season. However, I think you usually get at least a few days' notice before the storms hit so maybe with trip insurance you would be OK.

If you're considering traveling that far, I would encourage a look at Northeast Brazil. September is the heart of windy season. A bit of a longer trip, but very reasonably priced once you get there. Oh, and did I mention incredibly consistent wind, hundreds of miles of beach - flatwater lagoons, waves and everything in between. You can also find great nightlife in places like Fortaleza and Jericoacoara.

Do some searching on this site and others, tons of information out there.

Good luck and have fun wherever you go--

Olivier
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Olivier » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:41 pm

I was googling around and Yes, you are right, North Brazil seems to be the place to be in September. There is one catch though: I can't find any reasonable flight around the labor day.

It is 1100+$ with 24 hours of travel (2-3 stops going through NY, Sao Paulo, ...). Just crazy.

I have no flexibility in my week of travel (we have some mandatory vacation in the company I am working for this year).

It seems that the last destination for nice vacation+Kite is Maui. How is Hawaii in September?

hawaiimind
Contributor
Contributor

Post by hawaiimind » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:41 am

I researched some destinations last year for about the same time of year (went to St Lucia and it was great). If you were looking to go in the middle of the summer, you would look at the destination and its kiting, lodging, price qualities etc. But once the Fall hits, you have to look more at the weather.

Will you get wind? Some quick numbers I found... The % chance that any day in September will have kite-able wind (over 13 mph) are the following: Aruba 86%, Maui 84%, St. Lucia 65%, Margarita/Coche 59%, Barbados 49%, Antigua 48%, Cozumel 38%, Dominican Republic 32%, Puerto Rico 30%, Pattaya Thailand 21%, Oahu 17%, Belize 16%, Turks 16%, Phan Thiet/Mui Ne Vietnam 7%. These are some numbers that should play some part in your decision.

Will you get too much wind? That is hurricane season for many destinations of choice, so go here to see what your chances are of seeing a hurricane at various locations (this site covers just the Caribbean, but other sites exist for the rest of the world)… http://stormcarib.com/climatology/

And finally, reach out to Kingsley Thomas Wong, he gave me some great insight, as he has pretty much been everywhere.
Mark Neveu, riding at 3rd, Sherman or Alameda on Naish gear