Cozumel/ Riviera Maya - mid-March

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
baypirate
Regular
Regular
Cozumel/ Riviera Maya - mid-March

Post by baypirate » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:18 am

I managed to book a few days on the Riviera Maya / Cozumel, seemed like a better balance than La Ventana for my non-kiting, less... rough-it-up wife. I know that by mid-March we're expecting winds to fire up in the Bay, but couldn't make it earlier...

I searched on the forums the few references to the spots around there (Cozumel, Tulum), but any insider knowledge would be greatly appreciated. I promise to post back my "travel impressions" in exchange!

Unfortunately, I could do only 1 night in Cozumel and the remaining in Mayakoba (think Capitan Laffite, just N of Playa del Carmen), as latter is a resort wedding gift (and pretext for the tri)p. I understand there are some launches right off, Xcalacoco, Coco Beach, Punta Maroma, with Puerto Morelos a bit further N (and some access issues?). I'll definitely drive down to Tulum at least once, but was wondering how big a difference is b/w Tulum and the others. Also, is the wind so much better on Cozumel?

Does anybody know whom to look up down there (Pl
aya/Tulum/Cozumel) in order to get into the "local loop"?

I'm planning on taking a 12m and 9m, not sure I could even squeeze a third kite anyway.

Mucho Gracias!

couzteau
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Cozumel/ Riviera Maya - mid-March

Post by couzteau » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:51 pm

Hi, sorry I cannot give you any of the info you asked for but I'd be interested in hearing about your findings.

Ron
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Ron » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:03 pm

So..how was it? Gotta meet the french folks in December and Cancun is kinda in the middle and windy at that time of the year so good for me and the dad who windsurfs. Looking online, it seems like a twintiper paradise...too bad, I am all about strapless wave surfing at the moment. Any waves spot anyone know of? Is there any surf rental over there? Thanks!

Nxnwsurfer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nxnwsurfer » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:49 pm

We usually go down to cancun/playa del carnmen around thxgiving. Whole it's super light then I've heard that its almost always light. Bring your big kites.

Ps Maui is a good place to pamper wife, keep family happy and guarantee wind.