Manzanillo, MX or Barra de Navidad

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
naters1308
Contributor
Contributor
Manzanillo, MX or Barra de Navidad

Post by naters1308 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:08 pm

I'm flying down to Mexico next week (rough life, I know) to help my Dad move our sail boat from Barra de Navidad to Manzanillo, MX. I'm definitely going to have some extra days to dink and dunk around, and I just started kite-board (as in last week).

I was wondering if anyone had been down to these sites (south of PV and north of Zihautanejo) and could recommend any good spots to kite. The weather was 15-20 a couple of weeks ago, but now there's only 9mph of wind and it's 9 mph out of the SW. You think a 14M bow + 150cm board will do it in that sort of weather? (I'm 180 lbs).

And if you have spots down there, tell me!!!

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:39 pm

i dunno man, if you just learned how to kite a week ago, it's probably not really worth it to try to kite in an unknown place with unknown conditions. personally, i don't find that it's worth it to travel with kite gear unless i'm basically guaranteed to have good riding.

i tried doing exactly what you're thinking of doing a couple times several years ago when i was a beginner and it was a waste of time. as a beginner, you're better off riding at a spot you're comfortable at with consistent predictable winds....
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

davewsail
Regular
Regular

Post by davewsail » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:06 pm

Yeah and besides that the wind is really light and unpredictable down there. I agree-- don't waste your time-- it will just frustrate you. Enjoy the sailing.
Team rider for Sheldon Kiteboarding and North

KirkTalon
Regular
Regular

Post by KirkTalon » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:34 pm

Got to third that motion...the only way to get away with something like that is if you could find an actual reputable school down there and then you could take a couple more lessons. That way you don't have to worry about gear, someone is watching over you at all times and you won't get in over your head.

Dude have a great time sailing, that sounds pretty fun right there...

Cheers

KIrk
RRD, Mystic