Mid April Kite Trip - Fast & Cheep

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
Proparoo
Regular
Regular
Mid April Kite Trip - Fast & Cheep

Post by Proparoo » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:59 pm

Got the 5 day "Hall Pass" for Valentine's Day to take a kite trip mid April.

I am thinking South Padre or Cape H...

After speaking with my wife, she mentioned it was not as cheep as she thought to go to South Padre (Air Fair and all) so it's got me thinking / wondering where to go to get good wind for cheep and not too far as I will only have 5 days.

In addition I will be looking for others that want to join me and share the cost of a room and rental car...

So I'm open to the dates and locations... feel free to post or send me a PM if you can help me with good destination reviews or you are interested in going on a great kite trip. I can leave from Sacramento or The Bay area.

If you have been to SP or the Cape please tell me what you thought.
Rich "ATOM" Baum

jowall
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jowall » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:11 am

Hey Rich:

I still don't know SPI. You should be able to get there on miles as I doubt anyone else is going. I really liked Hatteras: https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/about4611.html That said, it's not imossible to have 2-3 day lulls in Hatteras, add 2 days of travel and it doesn't seem like a good option.

Did you consider a west coast road trip? How about Floras Lake, OR? I'd be down with heading there but I'd need to buy a 6 or 7 M kite. Pismo in Spring should be awesome too. Either place should have camping or reasonably priced lodging options.

Lastly, you could not leave wind to find wind and save the pass for next November.

-john

dakine1
Regular
Regular

Post by dakine1 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:16 am

S.P.I is cheap once you get here... April ought to be killer.. We have been kiting and surfing everyday since we arrived.. AWSOME down wind trips both ocean side and in the lagoon.. This place is off the hook.. To much fun.. Mark Doyle has been a great tour guide...Would not of got all the kiting without him.. Look him up when you get here. XLKITES.COM.

ED/DEB OUT IN TEXAS
AVDM.COM Team Riders

Proparoo
Regular
Regular

Post by Proparoo » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:22 am

John,

Thanks for the reply..

Yes I am also thinking of a local road trip and might be up for bringing my 30' camper stocked with steak & beer to Costanoa KOA right near Wadel. Or down to Pismo. I don't know about Lake Flores but that might work too.

So I deffinately have not made up my mind... South Padre sure sound sweet.
Rich "ATOM" Baum

jowall
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jowall » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:38 am

ED, I'm jealous. I've been wanting to cash in some miles and head to SPI but had another busy winter. Maybe next year.

john

Proparoo
Regular
Regular

Post by Proparoo » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:44 am

After doing a little research I am now confident that I will be booking South Padre Island.

Now I need to find the "right" hotel, looking for something on (or near) the water and not too much $$$. I guess mid April is still before Spring Break so I hope the price is not too high. I have learned that it can be real cheep or real expensive.
It would be nice to stay at a place that I can launch from if the wind is right. Any suggestions will be helpful.

I called Mark Doyle and he said that they were just getting into the business of setting up trips and he would help me out, he sounds like a great guy. I look forward to a lesson or downwinder from him.

So if anyone wants to join me and share a room and rental car.. let me know.
Rich "ATOM" Baum

lacasaverde
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by lacasaverde » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:24 pm

Rich~ I am psyched about my own trip there in March (thick of Spring Break). You'll miss that in April. I just booked an inexpensive 1 bdrm condo for $325. for the week. It's owned by kitesurfers and is on the northern end of the island (where, I hear) most of the kiting is to be had. Give him a call and see what he has. Burt Lundak at (956) 572-3930. You can check out the property at www.vacationrentals.com. It's the Trinity House. It sounds like Ed& Deb are having a blast. I can hardly wait to blaze my own wake in those warm Texas waters. 23 more work days...
Leann

dakine1
Regular
Regular

heres a pic of what you'll get...in south padre

Post by dakine1 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:34 pm

down winders on the surf side, and flats on the Laguna side , pretty cool....be sure and check out the sea turtles.....
Attachments
south padre island, kiteboarding pix 039.jpg
south padre island, kiteboarding pix 039.jpg (31.07KiB)Viewed 9478 times

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:53 pm

SPI is cheap as far as I remember.

I was there last May and got skunked big time. A whole week no single decent day, most days not rideable at all even with light wind gear.

When there is no wind there is not much to do. Bring your girlfriend just in case :)

mayhem
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by mayhem » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:57 pm

We went to Corpus Christi in March 2 years ago and had a blast! We got wind everyday we were there. We couldn't ride one day cause there was TOO much wind and we didn't bring a small enough kite!!