Japan kiting?

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
glenn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Japan kiting?

Post by glenn » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:32 pm

Can anyone provide first hand Japan kiting knowledge?? I have an opportunity to travel and kite in Japan beginning this Saturday - we'll be in the Tokyo area. I've researched a bit and it looks like Chiba is a top destination in the Tokyo area (on the Northeast side of Tokyo Bay).

In addition, Hamamatsu looks like the killer spot in central/northern Japan. It's located on the East coast south of Tokyo. The trip from Tokyo seems a little complicated but worth it. The current wind forecast is for strong wind everyday!

I'd be super stoked to learn anything about Japan prior to the trip including: kiting destinations, launch info, wind speed/kite sizes, water temp, bullet train info (for trip to Hamamatsu), car rental/driving, security issues for extra gear and kites, etc.

I don't have enough time to get to Okinawa - maybe next time!

Thanks in advance!
Glenn

KirkTalon
Regular
Regular

Post by KirkTalon » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:38 pm

Ask Ollie...he was just there about a month ago...

Best Luck

Kirk
RRD, Mystic

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:06 am

Didn't do any kiting in Japan, only in Vietnam, so i can't really comment. You should probably focus on Chiba, as Hamamatsu is a little ways away. It is cold there now and not sure if it's the best windy season, just try to do some more research online I'd say.

Hana
Regular
Regular

Post by Hana » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:29 am

We did some traveling in Japan but it is more convenient for foreigners to get a Japan railpass than paying a normal price on bullet trains.
I never kited in mainland Japan so I can't really have too much to add, but I know there are several kiting spots in Chiba, which is Kuju-kuri-hama area, which I believe you may need a car. (Note, it's a lefthand handle with left side driving in Japan.) Renting a car in Japan is relatively more expensive than here. Access maybe easier if you go to Hamamatsu or Omaezaki by bullet train. I know water is really cold and it is the coldest time of the year right now. So definitely bring your thickest wetsuits!

Japan Rail Pass:
http://www.japanrail.com/JR_railpass.html

glenn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by glenn » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:55 pm

thanks for the JR and other travel info. The leftside driving deal is a little spooky for me, especially for a stick shift. I'll probably be on the train.

the following link is a cool photo/diagram of a sick looking spot in Hamamatsu. I get the general idea but not all of it since it's obviously in Japanese.

http://cdz.jp/kite/images/Photo_Tenryu2.jpg

sk
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sk » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:05 am

A friend of mine just returned from Tokyo and said that it is extraordinary cold there right now. They also have snow at the moment, what is not very usual for Tokyo. So keep an eye on the forecast.

-Stefan

glenn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by glenn » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:30 pm

For anyone interested, the Japan trip and kiting adventure was a ton of fun. I can provide detailed info about Hamamatsu, which turned out to be a killer location. I also kited near Chiba.

CdoG
Old School
Old School

Post by CdoG » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:53 pm

Nice Job glenn...
now that sounds faT.

glenn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by glenn » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:20 pm

thanks but its true that the coffee costs $8.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:34 pm

It sure can depending on where you go, I found most coffee to be about between 300-500 Yen (3-4 US$) depending on if you got regular coffee or Cappucino, but no doubt, it's not cheap there. Did you get a chance to try Mos Burger? Very good and healthier fast food. While out and about the towns, I quickly became acquainted with some of the vending machines which sold ice cold beer for between 120-240 yen, which given my fondness of a cold one eased the expense of virtually anywhere you could go out and eat where beers are between 5-6US$. I figured overall it would average my costs. Did you klike the food? I thought it was awesome, especially when you go to different areas and try the regional specialties. Sounds like you had fun, though! Was it still pretty cold?