Is it necessary to take a 15 to La Ventana next week?

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
mcarson
Joey
Joey
Is it necessary to take a 15 to La Ventana next week?

Post by mcarson » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:35 pm

I'm headed to LV. I'm taking my 12 but am wondering if a 15 would be worth hauling down there?

davewsail
Regular
Regular

Post by davewsail » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:55 pm

Depends. How pissed will you be if the difference between kiting and not is having your 15m? If you're ok with sitting on the beach instead then don't bring it. Last year I was really glad to have my 14m but sometimes I wished I had a bigger board or bigger kite. But then, that was last year.
Team rider for Sheldon Kiteboarding and North

berrisbob
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by berrisbob » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:57 pm

If you're a big guy (or gal), and you're on a 15 when most people are on a 12, then yes, you should definitely take your 15.

If kiting from noon to 3:30 every day on a 10 or 12 isn't enough for you, then you should take your 15 and get an extra hour in before noon and/or another hour in after 3:30 (be prepared for a long swim in at the end of the day when the wind shuts off and you're on the outside).

If you get a day or two of 15mph thermal-only winds out of the east while you're there and you want to kite in that (you'll be one of the few if it happens, which is not too likely), then you should take your 15.

If you are unlucky and get several days of weak north wind, which looks like how it has been for the last week or so, then you'll wish you had your 15.

Bottom line is -- if you take your 15, you will almost certainly have the opportunity to use it. But if you're not a heavyweight, and the wind is fairly normal while you're there, you probably won't regret it too much if you don't take it.